So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

I put water in a dish in the oven if I want hard crusts

Paul Hollywood says to do that…

5 Likes

Yes - steam is good. Spraying the top of the loaf with water before popping it in the oven also works well (and doesn’t leave you with the potential problem of moving a dish half full of extremely hot water)

4 Likes

I always sprinkle water on the underside of a Ciabatta when ‘refreshing’ it in the oven

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

(makes a note)

5 Likes

Apropos of Icelandic F&C, I offer the following (which is only connected by location).

My attitude to bread is that I don’t eat much ovvit, so make or buy ‘fresh’ for guests. That which I make otherwise (in my trusty bread-maker) is sliced and then frozen (slices separated by slivers of baking parchment) in small batches for Mr Bee. He doesn’t complain. About this, anyhoo.

I want to return to Iceland. Some day (not for the F&C).

Soo xx

5 Likes

By the way, the bread is frozen in ziplok bags, which are washed and re-used and the parchment is ‘dusted off’ and kept for the next batch.

Best dreams, Cellarites,
Soo xx

4 Likes

G’night dear. Sleep well.

And all sleep well.

4 Likes

You too, Soo

Don’t ferget yer Gin

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Soo, that was a Good Thing to hesr, at a Right Time. Thank you. Gxxx

5 Likes

Oops, put the

yardarm

over in another thread. Sorry about that.

(Duck flies past outside, sneering at me. Nice river you got there, shame if sunnink was to… happen to it. Very flammable, rivers.)

4 Likes

Just ignore the duck wee sparrer and dine upon this platter of bacon butties I bring

Anyway ducks are teetotal so our gin lake is safe

6 Likes

Is that wot they told you?

Granted, they’re a bit lost when they can’t find the Buckfast…

5 Likes

I have never seen a duck drink gin

Ergo ducks are teetotal!

More bacon butties wee birdie?

6 Likes

Wot a fine idea forra grey day. (Might even be no rain at dog-walking time.)

6 Likes

I have a wee snack forra hound to have after its walk

A fine juicy marrow bone

6 Likes

She will fall upon it (after an initial period of suspicion) with joy and no noise apart from the scraping of teeth for however long it takes to dismantle it.

She might even spare you a look, probably not of thanks but of slight dubiety.

Weather forecast says 38% chance of rain this evening after four, but very small chance (4%) this morning this morning. So I expect to get wet shortly. (Cynical about the weather forecast? Moi?)

6 Likes

She is surrounded by dog-poisoners.

6 Likes

And Evil Cardboard Boxes which for some reason (possibly that they are full of things) the Dog-poisoners don’t allow her to make safe.

6 Likes

She is an clever dog who knows how to ensure she stays healthy

This means fud is to be checked carefully prior to consumption

6 Likes

5 Likes