So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

Well, that’s one answer to your earlier question, Twellers.

6 Likes

I have no ads anywhere, courtesy of Adblock. It’s currently saying it has blocked 0 ads on this page but 357,079 ads in total.

6 Likes

Foot hurts and exasperation does not help. It goes like this: went to the meeting to stuff envelopes for a bit, then went to try to sort out my phone.

The story there goes: for the past lo these many years I have had a PAYG mobile with Virgin, but as from a few days’ time that have changed their tariff: instead of paying for the calls as you make them, by the time you have used, and texts at the rate of 5p per text, they were now going to charge £2 per day on which you used the phone at all, up to a limit of 200 texts or 200 minutes talk. This is clearly nbg from someone who may make three or four calls at the most, certainly not for over two hours, or perhaps as many as five texts in a day, so I was looking for someone else to provide me with mobile phone. And 3 was recommended, so last week I went to them. Oh yes, not a problem, yes you can use your own phone, yes you can keep your own number, the new sim will cost you £10 and that’s all credit on your phone.

Except the phone had to be unlocked, because Virgin had locked it. So that took five working days. There was just one problem; the incompetent little oiks at 3 had failed to check whether the phone was compatible with their network. I got no signal, though when I rang my number it had changed from a you-can’t-speak-to-this-person message mentioning Virgin to one mentioning 3.

So back to them I went today, only to be told that the fault was with the unlocking; it wasn’t, but that took half an hour to check at TechHouse. Then back to demand my money for the mis-sold sim from 3, only to be told that sorry, if they gave me my money back I couldn’t have my own number for a different sim from somebody else. And so I went back to TechHouse to ask them for advice.

They said “Go and ask O2.” So I did, and the nice woman at O2 got quite cross and said I had been lied to, because 3 are legally obliged to release my number back to me on request. She then as a first step checked that their network and my phone were compatible (they are), made sure that they do a package that I was happy with (they do), and then took on the whole job on my behalf, and fought the good fight on several different phones until she had forced 3 into surrender, talked O2 into giving me my own number (though not until probably Tuesday, because it’s a weekend) and made me feel human again. And the whole business only took just under three hours…

Now all I need is someone equally efficient to stop the spacebar onthis keyboard fromworkingonly about seventy percent ofthe time and Ishall be happy. And yes, I have taken itout and cleaned under it.

7 Likes

< proffers a brimming Pitcher and sympathy to a Suffering, Ill-used Fish >

Mobile phone providers, on the whole, make estate agents seem reasonable people. There are, of course, exceptions on both sides

6 Likes

And now I am off out to learn about the mysteries of “phone banking”.

5 Likes

I don’t envy you that, Fishy…
Have an Minnow End when you get back

O2 have been very helpful to me & continue to be so

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Pore Fishy

Gout and incompetant eejits who can only read a script down a phone at you are NOT what a fishy needs

A nice reed bed and a good strong drink are what does a fish good after a trying day

And I sympathise about the gout - it’s bluddy painful

7 Likes

Indeed. Particularly NOT the Honourable Fish wot inhabits this Cellar.

The coupling of the Donkeys had us both sniggering, Twellsy. Thanks.

We made £155 on the bottle tombola, which isn’t too shabby. All disappointed children (i.e. those who won nowt or, worse, won a bottle of alkyfrol) were proffered a dip in our sweety bag and were charmingly grateful. I think that we have a better class of children round these parts…

I partly prepared a vegetable sambar before we left the hive (azzin cooked the moong dal) only to discover, on our return, that I have about half of the tamarind paste required. I propose to mix lime juice and a teeny bit of brown sugar to make up the deficit. Any thoughts?

Soo xx

6 Likes

Should work. Lots of lime!

5 Likes

Thanks, Gus. Yes, I may miss out the sugar altogether.

Soo xx

5 Likes

Agreed lime juice sounds like a plan

Here I have knitted a bit more of the scarf part of my cardi

It is about 10" long…

I needs 50"…

Remind me that 4 ply is a LOT of work to get a garment knitted if I start thinking of alpaca yarn in future

If I gave up hospital trips and such like I would be further on

6 Likes

What about EB"s gansey?
Did I miss summat ?

Pitchers required, methinks

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

You are Not Wrong, dere Chatelaine, as you so very often aren’t.

5 Likes

EB’s gansey is a quick knit on the knitting loom

I am doing a bit of the scarf every day so it does not seem an endless job

Today I actually got to cook - a ragu for tonight and enough to do a lasagne for the freezer

6 Likes

Trying to butter it up, are you, so it doesn’t badmouth you to the other appliances? Very wise.

5 Likes

Yup!

6 Likes

I have established that phone banking works better in a place with reliable internet connection, been taught how to do it,and become one of those eejits who telephone you with a script – which the candidate, when I asked about it (I cannot bring myself to utter the words “if there was an election tomorrow”, even to total strangers who have no way to find out who I am) positively encouraged us to deviate from, and even to subvert if we thought it necessary. By cunning computerage, it costs the volunteers nothing to do it, though they prefer you to use a landline because it is cheaper for them.

I don’t think this counts as “political”, since I have not said for whom or why I am doing it…

5 Likes

Oh all right then, be an International Fish of Mystery if you must. but be it gently

5 Likes

I shall not bounce anyone, or boff them, or whatever it is that Tiggers do. Just, if you have registered to vote, please do vote; and if you haven’t, it’s really easy to register on line. Twellies and Joe can avert their faces from this disgraceful advertising, since they won’t be asked to vote in the December election, as far as I know.

6 Likes

Twellsers will no doubt be familiar with the words “early” and “often” in this context.

6 Likes