So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

I have seen petrol used to put out a fire.

You need a lot of it, very fast.

Don’t try this at home*

* if you are the sort of person who would try this at home, contact me for some high-growth investment tips.

6 Likes

Fast regrowth might be more useful

But on the serious point, anything that cuts off the oxygen supply will put out a fire. That’s why the Hollywood “car exploding on crash” cliché is nonsense - there’s simply not enough oxygen available in the confined space of a tank.

6 Likes

They do sometimes explode later if the tank is ruptured and petrol leaks out onto a hot engine, mind; and later can be fairly soon after the crash. So if you can smell petrol it’s quite a good idea to get out of the car and some distance from it if you can.

6 Likes

True - but the key phrase there is “smell petrol”. By that point it’s formed a flammable mixture.

6 Likes

It used to be fun when car thieves set fire to a car and locals would try to dissuade us and the fire service from going near it because it would explode

Pointing out that it was their house that was likely to be damaged if the fire wasn’t extinguished or allowed to burn in a controlled way was usually enough…

7 Likes

What’s the flammability level, something like 2% to 8% in air? Been a few years since I had to care about this sort of thing.

7 Likes

Nice to see a bit of professionalism…

I don’t think I ever mentioned the (local to where I was then living) wannabe RA activist who was involved in some sort of failed “mission” up North? Burn out a perfectly good car? No way. Besides, he’d only bought it a few months ago…

Yep - drove the length of the country, attempted whatever they were supposed to be doing then drove home in a car registered in his name and parked outside his house.

Is there a PSNI/Garda unit for dealing with disorganized crime?

6 Likes

I think I might be safe to approach now, if you use caution. The grumps have eased at least slightly anyway. How is it that you can go to bed at night feeling perfectly normal, sleep reasonably well, and then wake in a grump for no discernible reason? Blowed if I know.

In other news, I am informed that my niece had son number 2 this morning. I am a Great Aunt twice over. This makes me feel very old. And, if I’m honest, relieved that she did not have a daughter.

8 Likes

Another person for you to be a Bad Influence on!

For myself, I have at least learned to recognise when I’m in the grumps. Small hops…

7 Likes

It’s alarming how un-old one needs to be to be a great aunt, so we aren’t judging you ;- ) I am, by some measure, an ex-step-great-grandmother several times over. Shudder…

Anyone having babies at the moment is more of an optimist than I am. Which reminds me - a poster on mumsnet recently was urged to get ‘watertight contraception’. My memory of such matters may be hazy, but I don’t think it was water that was the problem…

Glsd you have largely shaken off the grumps. They are still skulking around hereabouts.

6 Likes

What a grumpy lot we are in here. I’d suggest we start a support group but I have a feeling that would not go down too well.

Now that is a cheering thought. And great nephew no.1 is three now so probably old enough for me to make a start. This is something I might actually be good at.

7 Likes

I like being a bad influence on my my friends’ childer and love handing them back all noisy and tired
B is the sort who lets me spoil the children with my time and company but NOT a single sweet or unplanned snack

The fruit bowl is there for them to graze on

6 Likes

Did B also specify no gin?

7 Likes

Just catching up. My thoughts are with all who suffer visitations from the Black Dog.

I have, today, received a goodly consignment of fir cones and dried fruits with which to adorn the Christmas abode. I have also bought (amongst other stuff) Mr Bee’s preferred cheese to add to the glorious selection ordered by SiL. I could arsk you to ‘name that cheese’, but I’ll tell you, instead - Wensleydale with cranberries.:nauseated_face: Still, it’ll be less offensive than the washed rind, stinking of the byre excrescence that SiL brought to us a while ago.

Time for bed.

Good nights, all,
Soo xx

6 Likes

I know which I would prefer.
Clue: does not contain cranberries.

7 Likes

Proffers Gin

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

Well, whilst blessing Mr. B as I assume he’s an extremely fine chap, why cant people leave food alone ?

Wensleydale is a fine cheese. Cranberries are fair enough but …

I looked in the local cheese places recently and the plethora of fruits, pickles, nuts and the like chucked in was bizarre.

(Grump, chunter, whinge).

8 Likes

Because if you leave out the cranberries, etc., people will notice what rubbish cheese you’re using as a base.

yardarm

wiv Early Roofers

6 Likes

… and power tools to split tiles so they fit in the corners.

Cranberries are the droppings of the devil’s mice.

(Hell is dark and hell is deep and hell is full of mice – from Dives and Lazurus on Freedom and Rain by June Tabor and the Oyster Band.)

6 Likes

I could not agree more dear armrest

I LOVE Wensleydale and have happy memories of buying the cheese in Hawes with Grandma and Grandad as we trundled back to their house from days out in the Dales

I hate cheese that hat been mucked about - and if it’s meant to make a bid for freedom from a plate just put it in a shallow dish

As for the ridiculous notion of cheese going off if not eaten within 48 hours of purchase that is bluddy ridiculous

Cheese is a milk preserving method so unless you are going to leave it beside the radiator 24/7 then just eat the stuff cutting off any not intentional mould

I am of the Victor Meldrew view of foods - remember him going to the “goes off at midnight” shelves in the supermarket?

7 Likes