So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

Very useful those are if you’re poor. And in our local Tesco they often have haslet silly-cheap.

6 Likes

Oh I agree they are a great thing if you are on a tight budget

But relying on best buy dates as the day food goes off when it’s still perfectly good makes for a lot of food waste

I smell and touch food while looking at it and deciding its ability to be eaten

Yon Bull religiously goes by dates

I HAVE trained him to leave my yogurt alone as well as my cheeses
My view of yogurt is that it is sold waaaaay too young!

8 Likes

Soft cheese sold in England has usually been frozen for transport - you can tell by the chalky core - and will never mature properly. There are a few exceptions…

7 Likes

I’ll join you on the mucked about cheese hating bench, if I want to eat something with my cheese then I’ll eat something with my cheese, not in it. Good cheese doesn’t need it and bad cheese is not worth eating in any case,

Agree with that too, often the older the better.

It is wild here today, another one for staying indoors. Not only did the boat not sail today, the mail plane didn’t make it here either so we are cut off. I quite like it like that in an odd sort of way, it makes that strange place you probably call ‘the UK’ and we call ‘across’ seem further away.

7 Likes

I know what you mean TFM here such weather makes it feel like we are cocooned in our snug cottage that’s huddled into the land whose stone it is built from

They knew how to build years ago - stone house with daub filling in the cracks draughts get in through and built on a rock so no founds needed

Right off to make bread before I go to B to get cardi finished

7 Likes

So they should, Fishy. The mark up is huge, considering that, for the supermarket version, there is very little meat in it. People were, & still probably are happy with over-processed deeply savoury stuff which could be sliced very thinly, & went further.

I can remember eating Luncheon Meat sandwiches where the meat had been sliced so thinly that you could practically see through it. Mind you, this was Sunday Tea at a Vicarage - there were 6 ovvus, & then 2 waifs & strays arrived so the sandwiches had to feed 8.

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Aaah the good old make a tin of meat and a tub of butter alike make a loaf of sandwiches trick

Someone did it with fishes and bead once…

There will be hot butterd rolls later

I love the Polish yeast I get

Live yeast is so much better than dried

7 Likes

It was margarine,because that could be spread more thinly, & was, of course, much cheaper

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

B is busy ferrying childer who are ALL in different school shows in different venues so no knitting today

After crafty group on Thursday is the date decided

7 Likes

When I was a small sparrer I was told that Margarine was Just as Good as Butter, and Healthier.

Later I disoovered that both of these things were untrue.

6 Likes

Same with me wee birdie

And a jar of meat paste would make 6 rounds of sandwiches for packed lunches

You were lucky if you got a sniff of flavour

7 Likes

That has reminded me (not inna good way) of Shippams Bloater paste. Oh, grooh…

Off to the Fish Quay (not for bloaters).

Soo xx

6 Likes

I used to send my father a box of Manx kippers when I was at the Manx rally years ago

My mother who hates fish was rather displeased by this as she was the cook who had to cook them for my father
I was a wicked young woman!

But I still think fish live in the water and should be left there!

7 Likes

My father would have regarded that as an Act of War…

7 Likes

Grooh indeed, Soo :nauseated_face: ,although Sutherlands Salmon Paste ,& their Salmon & Shrimp weren’t bad in the small jars

It was the Potted Meat (called Potted Dog here) & the fish paste in the large containers which were bought by the quarter which turned me over, even as a child. The odd colours, & the smell remain in my memory.

Please give my regards to the Fish Wives

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Well my father loved them so I thought it a treat for him

A WHOLE box of twenty pairs of kippers
Even he could jug a kipper or two…

But my mother did them fried in butter which he mopped up with bread

7 Likes

For this relief…

7 Likes

Named not for ingredients but effect

7 Likes

Bliss. I loves them, but only Manx ones. Fried in butter, with plenty of lemon. I like to more or less (best you can do really) fillet them before cooking.

They DO pong the house out though.

8 Likes

Blowing an Hoolie here, complete with driving rain

I have just put the heating on

How is the Fishly-Dunnock roof situation ?

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes