So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

What does that score on a scale of One to Fernet Branca? (23?)

5 Likes

It’s more to my taste, but definitely in the same direction.

Goatburgers is made.

6 Likes

Black balsam would be perfect, Dunnock

Thank-you
Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Is Black Balsam good for nosebleeds? My day has been enlivened by a couple (all tied up with the stupid sinuses). And possibly Rage.

Not just the obvious. I had Plans. Lovely Plans. But there is another cat coming in and stealing food. I caught a glimpse last night. Will be sitting up tonight to see if I can determine whether it is a Needy and Deserving Cat - in which case I have the fun of trying to get a trap, manage not repeatedly to trap the Oaf with appealing stinky pilchards and the like, and get it into a shelter before I go away for Christmas, or to go away with the possibility that Oaf gets all his food stolen and possibly they tear chunks out of one another while I am away; or fitting a microchip catflap (there are boring reasons why that is waaaay more complicated than you might imagine) as well as potentially depriving a genuinely Needy Cat (see above) of its only reliable source of pilfered food. Or asking the person who will be looking after Oaf to feed the other brute outside as well, which is a bit of a cheek.
And no, putting Oaf in the Slammer for the duration is not a feasible option at this point either. Again, reasons long and tedious.

You would have little trouble distinguishing between me and a ray of sunshine, although IANAScotsman.

8 Likes

It’s a conundrum alright, Gus. Why does the Oaf tolerate such incursions?

Well, no, not always, Dear. But’ that’s part of your charm. While you’re here - might you tell me anything about Black Balsam and Frenet Branca? Mr Bee izzabit under the influence of the best part of a bottle of Prosecco. Nowt to celebrate, to be fair, but it seemed like a Good Idea.

Oh - nosebleeds and Rage - I have sneezed an awful lot, today. I suppose that I might be suffering from Rage Lite - although it doesn’t feel like it.

Soo xx

6 Likes

Fernet Branca is a bitters, I think, although possibly it is officially classified as a liqueur. It’s a murky dark brown and allegedly a digestif in small (but small glasses, not the drops other bitters tend to be doled out in) doses. It tastes - well, startling would be one way of putting it. Herbs, you know… If you chuck some discreetly onto the fire it livens things up quite remarkably. Not that I would know anything about that.

Sparrer’s yer man bird for the low-down on the Riga BB. But I suspect it also involves Herbs, and a degree of startlement.

6 Likes

Oh dear Gus

The problems of being a feline slave

I hope that it’s a six dinner Sid so you can dissuade it with a clear conscience

7 Likes

Fernet

Bluddy Lovely

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I’ll keep an eye open for an opportunity to sample it, Carinthia. Howz yer tummy?

Soo xx

6 Likes

Riga Black Balsam is very much the same sort of thing, only blacker. It’s a bitter herby taste that I rather like.

I also like Jägermeister, which is in a similar sort of category.

(Mixing them with other drinks is a waste, I think. If you just want to get drunk, there are ways that don’t ignore the craftsmanship that goes into a good digestif.)

6 Likes

DS rates this - I may buy him a bottle for ‘that season’.

I am awfy tired, for some reason, and wish you all a Good Night’s Sleep.

Soo xx

5 Likes

Gin, Soo

Mr C used Aldi’s own version of Jaegermeister as an hangover cure

The 'erbs, doncha know

If you are anywhere near an German Aldi, then do try their ‘Jagd Bitter’,which is their own version, very cheap, & very good

Fernet & Black Balsam are bitterer, which is more to my taste

Bread & butter for supper with no ill effects ,& I will deal with the headache shortly

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Self-trepanning seldom ends well, Dahlink. Just sayin’…
But I hope you deal with the blasted edake and send it out of doors to seek a more deserving host.
Gxxx

6 Likes

Buggered if I know, Soo. Perhaps he is a closet wuss. But he is very unsettled and not eating and positively clingy.

Staying up for Intruder Watch but fading all too fast.

Bah!
Gus xxx

6 Likes

In my defence, at the time of the fire/chimney incident I was a maximum of thirteen.

I know Jager-bombs are Uncouth and Disgraceful, but I am very proud of my tolerance of them. Which was demonstrated to prove a point. Not a point worth proving, maybe…

6 Likes

I hope that you don’t have to stay up half the night, Gus .

Does Intruder Cat look half starved, or one of those who gets fed 3 times per evening by looking miserable?

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

That is what I am really rather anxious to find out, Dere. All I have seen is the white bits of its face. I get the impression it is small. It is helluva shy. I fear it is a this-season kitten fallen on hard times.

If it turns out to be a bloated, practised thief, well - that presents problems for me leaving the Oaf, but would be a great relief in other ways.

7 Likes

Good morning all

Ulster fry makings on chafing dishes

Eggs cooked a la minute

6 Likes

:zzz:
:bird:

Oh, right, it’s Barbecue Day.

(looks at :cloud_with_rain:)

One token charcoal bag for batch one of the :goat::hamburger:, then we move inside.

yardarm

6 Likes

Amendment: rain is now coming down at 45° directly into the barbecue. Today may turn out to be all indoor cooking.

6 Likes