So, who wants to help ... to instaurate the cellar?

The gnomes have done their bit, the various craftspeople have furnished the space and it is ready for occupation.

Never say no to a Medicinal
is written above the door, on which there is a thoroughly indiscreet notice which says

DRINKS ARE
NOT ALLOWED
ON THE OUTSIDE

The stairs with ornate metal balustrades and very highly-polished dark-wood bannister lead down to a cellar which is decorated in blues at the green end of their spectrum, with drapes and decorative plasterwork around the ceiling. The paintwork is white.

The weather is starting to get cold, and the long forks for toasting bread or marshmallows, and a spit for large roasts, and a shovel for roasting chestnuts, all near the huge fire round which there are chaises and footstools and a kist full of warm shawls so that any chilly tart can wrap herself snugly, have been brought back out from storage where they were put for the summer, ready against our later need. The punchbowls and mulling-pan are available but not yet in place by the inglenook, and the firewood is there in case the nights grow cold.

In the usual alcove off the main cellar is the aga, and also the other stove; there is where the freezers and the food-cupboards are to be found.

The Other Cupboard is of course in the wall near the Chatelaine’s chaise, and she holds its key.

The trapeze is still outside, as is the trampoline, but the hot-tub and jacuzzi are at the end of the corridor past the piano and behind the velvet curtain; near the piano is the box with various pub-games: the shove-ha’penny board, the dominoes and the cards.

The billiard table and the astrolabe are to the other side of the lounging area with chaises, and the gin-lake is beyond them, past the racks with the wine…

The On Sweet has a re-repaired metal mirror, and has been re-feathered for the comfort of That Bird; the glitter-ball is turning gently and throwing flecks of light around the ceiling.

Darrington the butler, Ewbank, Honoré FitzMichael the pantler, the Page Three Pages, the Underfoot Men and the re-upholstering lady Gwyneth and her team of seamstresses are all to hand as needed, just as they always are, having made their way from the old cellar; so are the Fancy Italian, Luigi to make us tea, Antonio the coffee-maker and Fritz the chocolatier.

I am hoping for a kissing-bough?

4 Likes

I will bring my bread and set it to rise by the stove so hot buttered crusts will happen later after I have been to retrieve the Bull

6 Likes

Hahahahaha! Optimist.

But it is all most tasteful. Thank you.

5 Likes

I was tempted by the Neapolitan-ice-cream colours of the stripy sweater but decided not to push my luck. As a sweater: good. As a scarf: splendid. As a whole cellar? Not so sure about that.

5 Likes

Hurrah!

5 Likes

Sapphires, Emeralds & Garnets fer the Kissing Bough, wiv ropes of Pearls

Prescription Champagne too

Leek & potato soup later

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

oooh! Purty.

And I would like to put down a marker for some soup, please.

5 Likes

Oooooh. You let That Other Dunnock in again! Clearly a disreputable old bird, that one, and needs to be Seen Orf.

[peckity][peckity][peckity][peckity][peckity][peckity][peckity][peckity][flappity][peckity][peckity][peckity][peckity]

That’s better.

5 Likes

And I am forming an orderly queue.

5 Likes

…and vague plans of soup manufacture on my own account. If I succeed in dragging my lazy backside out shopping, that is.
Possibly squash and lentil (which is a great deal nicer than it sounds).

5 Likes

Of course, Fishy & Gus

And anyone else

I got 2 leeks fer 25p yesterday, so it will be bargain soup… :wink::yum:

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Finest kind!

5 Likes

Wot yer doin abaht this turtle, then? Fell off the back of a lorry, dinnit.

5 Likes

Roadkill stew? (I assume the fall killed it.)

5 Likes

Shurely lorries (and much else) are more likely to fall off the back of a turtle?

5 Likes

Tsssk, no: turtle soup, dere

5 Likes

Mock turtle soup as I like turtles

The Bull is home and resting after the trip

6 Likes

Pleased to hear that

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Thank you for the update, Twellies. My regards to him when he surfaces.

6 Likes

Kind thoughts from yer bee, too.
Soo xx

6 Likes