So, who wants to help ... to instaurate the cellar?

I have now been informed that I need a bag with me as he wants to keep me…

7 Likes

That’s no surprise, Twellsy

They’ll prolly be on the doorstep with an cervial collar.

Please don’t attempt any lifting or twisting of cats before you go

Sigh

Am speed-dialling Gin Sparrer…

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

“I’m sorry, I can’t answer the phone because I’m out making a gin delivery to a deserving victim of cats. Leave a message after the voosh.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4IzBIezhB4

6 Likes

Shame about the music…

6 Likes

This one’s less musicful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=annkM6z1-FE

6 Likes

I should have seen this coming :wink:

Soo xx

6 Likes

The Rules have been followed.

The vacuum was working perfectly for two years or so.

Today we have a cleaner.

Guess what stopped working?

We now have a Henry as well, and I shall introduce the old vacuum cleaner to him and leave him to give instruction.

It took less time to get to John Lewis and back than it did to find a space in the carpark, find the thing, get in the queue to pay, get in the queue to collect it…

5 Likes

Mrs Dervish wot does.

No! ( Bastard thing wot doesn’t)

5 Likes

Henrys are generally accepted to be fabulous workhorses- most tradespeople have them in the back of their vans.

Howsumevva

Not good fer Fishly backs, as the ‘angle of dangle’ isn’t good.

Is SpotSorryBot grumbling/sulking innits corner?

Give thanks that you still have an JL. ‘Ours’, the fabulous Cole Brothers in Sheffield, which has been part of my life since it opened in 1965, has been closed, despite being profitable… :cry:

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Our JL is new and horrible. For a long time it didn’t sell clothes at all, in an understanding with the council that it was not to take trade from the town centre, with the result that it was less fully useful than it ought to be; it was on one floor and had low ceilings. I don’t know that they actually were low, they just felt that way. And I always came away from it feeling harried and flustered and unwell.

They have since opened another floor above, for clothing and furniture and beds, and it has improved a lot as a result. But it is still horrible.

4 Likes

I remember eet well, Fishy, having made various forays with both Fishly & Dunnock & Friends…

The Sheffield store had 4 floors, & it was quite possible to spend the whole day in there. When I was a child, it was a 'bus ride away, so the excitement was doubled!

The Haberdashery department was justly famed, & there were people paid to demonstrate the sewing machines.

The fabric wasn’ t cheap, & we might well have gone to the market for better buys, but you could take your own stuff in there, & buy the perfect trimming, or buttons

Happy Sigh

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Heelas in Reading used to be similarly wonderful, but the old building was gone last time I was there (looking for crockery for Sudden Daughter) and the new JL is soulless.

5 Likes

John Lewis Brent Cross was the (local-ish) first resort for many things. These days when I look for something on the JL web site they never seem to have the good sort.

More recreational chainsawin’. Like having a lovely sharp knife, on a larger scale. And a bluetit has just flown into the bit I haven’t cut yet, looking for fings to eat. (No nests there. I checked.)

6 Likes

Am now in A&E and the doctor is coming in 10 minutes

Hollow laughter

5 Likes

Well you ain’t going anywhere Twellsy, so sit tight

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Yer a dunnock, not a bleedin’ cuckoo - oh… Right. See what you mean. Most considerate.

6 Likes

Obviously I would have acted appropriately.

(“This property is now part of Sparrer’s Bruvver Asset Management, and the rent’s doubled. Want to sign the new contract? Ooh, while you were dithering it’s just doubled again. Down, Fang, these are nice people. Ain’t they?”)

6 Likes

I lurved JL’s Haberdashery (it was Bainbridge of Newcastle at the time).

The Bainbridge story began in 1838, when Emerson Muschamp Bainbridge, then aged 21, went into partnership with William Alder Dunn to open a drapers and fashion shop in the heart of bustling Newcastle at 12-14 Market Street.

'Twas a big part of City life.

Staff at Bainbridge, Market Street, Newcastle, helping to move stock to the new Eldon Square store, 1976.

Many of my friends would be ineffably saddened by the closure of JL as Bainbridge became - while not shopping there. This is not directed at you, Carinthia, as you’ll know.

Soo xx

5 Likes

Wottaworld! I’ll leave you with kindest wishes for spinal health and sweet dreams. And, a special extra thought for Janie and her Family in Canada.

Soo xx

6 Likes

Extracts Noo Bottle of Gin from The Cupboard

Twellsy can have the Tanker stuff… :wink:

Janie may have wotevva she fancies :grin:

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes