So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Just make sure they don’t get out and push you into your oven. See “Health and Safety in the Home Thaumaturgical Workplace”.

yardarm

7 Likes

[wipes down yardarm with bleach]

There you go, folks.

[retreats back under duvet and, more than likely, cat]

6 Likes

Proffers Ulster fries

Apparently Aldi in our local town had to close and call the Gardai last week due to a fight that broke out over the last bags of frozen chips

7 Likes

Sunday, 8pm here (midnight there) we fly back to blighty, arriving at 9am.

I think I’d rather stay.

The poor buggers here are watching planes arrive with next to no-one on & remove a plane load of tourists. Slowly hotels & restaurants are emptying. I think we’re amongst the final handful. I guess it’s no different the World over. Tourism here is 40%+ of their economy.

Anyway, we already have a freezer and cupboards full of food as I’m a habitual restocker … & I could do with a diet.

Self-isolating will be a cinch as I’m a miserable sod.

Everyone tells me it’s all a bit eerie.

6 Likes

The main facer is when people you had thought to be quite sensible start to email doom and gloom into your inbox, with dire warnings to the effect “I am just sitting here waiting for people I know to die” – with the implication that since they are an expert who knows about illness they won’t catch it, but all us silly little people will because we don’t have them with us at all times to slap our hands if we were going to go anywhere near anyone else.

It’s enough to make you want to go and ride around on the Underground all day breathing heavily and wiping every surface you can find before sucking your thumb, really. Or to put it another way, there’s someone I won’t be bothering to talk to in future.

5 Likes

Dear Expert,
Is it safe to slap someone silly so long as one washes one’s hands thoroughly afterwards? Asking for a friend.
Gus

[I wonder how long will it be post-slapping before the Expert realises that I have also stolen her soap. All of it.]

5 Likes

Why do people “high five” each other if they do anything?

What is wrong with saying something like Well Done?

5 Likes

Coz itz well kool innit

4 Likes

https://quotefancy.com/media/wallpaper/3840x2160/1022916-George-Mikes-Quote-It-was-decided-almost-two-hundred-years-ago.jpg

5 Likes

George Mikes was a rather splendid person in many ways.

4 Likes

And he wasn’t George Steiner!

Lest this statement baffle the casual reader, I was trying to think of George X’s name for some reason which now escapes me and my initial description - George Thing, Eastern European writer, spoke lots of languages - elicited the suggestion of Mikes from an Helpful Fish.

4 Likes

Yes, well, understandable error I feel.

4 Likes

Oh, yes - entirely.

4 Likes

Have been experimenting again. V. hot & v. crusty…

(Steps smartly back)

5 Likes

Oooh. That looks good.

5 Likes

\________/ <----- Me Plate

Me Elbows are beeyoooutifully honed in these trying times…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Nancy is alive… Hurrah!

4 Likes

Looking forward to trying it with the remains of the beef & Guinness stew.

Getting a tad worried about future stocks, though - not a bag of flour to be had locally.

5 Likes

I think that we need a round of Medicinals…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Damn’ bloody right we do, Dahlink.
Wotta good idea.
Gxx

5 Likes