So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Tee Hee

A Gusly shriek is a fine call to the breakfast table

Bacon butties ready

Fresh loaves out of the oven

Runs out of cellar to her trapeze to escape the Elbows…

6 Likes

I started the day with yoghurt with mango innit

Buttered crumpets next

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

If you say it was with mango, then we believe you, Dahlink.

5 Likes

One of my pillows burst in the night.

When I came to change the bedding this morning there were Feathers.

Everywhere.

Mostly they are cleared up, and mostly they are back inside the pillow, and the pillow is in the garden with no “mostly” about it and the seam that has gone tucked over and safety-pinned, but I have a question to ask of the cellar.

Is it worth sewing up the seam of a fairly elderly pillow (say about 1934, at a guess), and if so, is the sewing machine a better bet, or hand-sewing?

4 Likes

You’re sure That Sparrer isn’t moulting?

As to the pillow, if the down is of decent quality (which it almost certainly would be, given (a) the vintage, (b) the fact that you continue to use it) my instinct would be to check whether it was just a seam - in which case, go ahead and re-sew it - or whether this was indicative of more general wear, and thus likely to give way elsewhere. In the latter case, you might be better off getting the materials together to make a new one from scratch.

5 Likes

Oh dear, Fishy. I imagine there were also Big Angry Bubbles.

If it is just the seam, and it is a pillow you are fond of, then I would say mend it. With the machine, probably, but Our Chatelaine is the authority here, I feel.

5 Likes

Hmm

I wouldn’t use it meself, Fishy. I did some 30 odd years ago & had to work outside wearing a mask. It’s dusty & filthy work, & not good fer yer chestals.

We inherited some more, & I sent them, via the dry cleaners, to be consolidated into Noo ones. Not sure if that’s still an option.

Dunelm sell zip-on protectors in the correct strong ticking if you need to try to conserve others.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

As far as I can tell it is just the seam, and the material itself is still impermeable to feather.

It was dry-cleaned quite recently, or I wouldn’t be using it, Carinthia. Pillows in this house are not left dirty for too long (though ones on guest beds are washed less often than ones in constant use) and if they are too large or the wrong material to be put in the washeen they are dry-cleaned.

So dust ought not to be the problem in this case really: just many-many feathers and the hope to contain them.

Dunelm is closed for the duration so I can’t get hold of those for a while anyhow.

It looks like sew it up outside with needle and thread, then strengthen the seams all round with the machine once feathers are not going to be able to escape all over the house…

Bah.

(I have also managed to make a hole in the tip of my left-hand forefinger with a knitting needle, and it’s amazing how much a plaster on that finger gets in the way of EVERYTHING but particularly hand-washing.)

5 Likes

Owwww. Pore Fish. But how?

I once made a hole in me with one through sitting on it, mind; so I’m not is a position to be critical.

Hurrah! nPower isn’t coming now.

5 Likes

I should imagine you changed position fairly promptly…

7 Likes

I rose like a positive lark, dere.
And the very next year, I sat on a bee…

How are you feeling today?

6 Likes

A stubborn stitch and a loss of temper – which was already iffy on account of feathers.

Knitting with a plaster is a reet booger as well, I discover.

5 Likes

Aye, it is that. You have had something of a Day so far today, Fishy. I am sorry.

6 Likes

This year, to save me from tears, I’ll sit upon someone special?

[keeps own fevvers well away from where they might annoy an Fish]

6 Likes

We already have a Special Bee!

5 Likes

I once sat on a wasp in the Gasthaus kitchen…

Grandma gave me a slice of onion to put in me knickers…

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Anyone want to hear about me and a slug/bottom interfacing?

6 Likes

I was feeling better…

7 Likes

I hope you mean that seriously, Joe. I’ve been Considering your health.

6 Likes

What Fishers said.
Soo xx

6 Likes