So, who wants to help... to perpetuate the cellar?

Morning all

Cool and wet here

Bacon butties ready

7 Likes

At the shops. Masks are largely forgotten.

6 Likes

That was our perception, a couple of days ago. We felt a tad freakish in our masks and blue gloves, but itā€™s not over, yet, by a long shot. Wrong thread, prolly.

Soo xx

7 Likes

I have been wearing blue Nitrile gloves for more years than I care to think about. I usually get them from the stall on the market, but they didnā€™t have any in my size almost a month before people began to realise that this was serious.

I am working my way through a box ordered from Amazon in March. They are good quality, but twice the price I usually pay.

I knocked the box over the other day, & read the bumph underneath, for the first time. It appears that they were packed in 2014, & out of date in 2017ā€¦

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Lots of things have double in price since January. But of course inflation is entirely under control. (Because fashion clothes keep getting cheaper, and theyā€™re part of the basket too.)

5 Likes

Sodding profiteering too, Dunnock. I think that there has been a black market in lots of stuff, as people emptied the shops of basics.

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

3 x 500g yeast on big-river-shop has gone up to Ā£20.85 from Ā£10.xx for the same amount last year.

5 Likes

I donā€™t expect that it will go down again either

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Of course a lot of that started before the plague was noticeable, because of [politics elided] - and thatā€™s going to be with us for the rest of my life.

5 Likes

It has always happened, Dunnock, & in some cases for genuine reasons. I have no objection to anyone being able to make a fair living, but I hear the sound of bandwagons being jumped onā€¦

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I remember, vividly, the inflation we had when decimal currency came in. Suddenly increases in price which had previously been by 1d became increases by 1p. That is not including things like the pack of twelve piercing-saw blades which cost 9d before d-day, 9p two weeks later, and very shortly thereafter 9p for ten.

5 Likes

My ā€˜oldā€™ gloves, purchased way before present nonsense, declare themselves okay until 2024. My latest purchase?

It has nothing to say for itself. Who w#rks out for how long nitrile gloves are likely to last, given that we live in a big world, with huge differences in temperature and humidity?
We made a prawn biryani, this evening and were happy with the result.
Soo xx

6 Likes

A similar thing happened with the introduction of the Euro. Prices were fixed immediately before, in Austria, for example, & for a while after, & then the ā€˜horse-tradingā€™ started.
People were encouraged to think in the Noo currency, & not to convert prices. It didnā€™t stop the unfavourable comparisons

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I cannot remember whether I said: this morning I took off the finger-stall to have a bath, and debrided the wound-site because the dead skin had started to pull back from over the wound and I didnā€™t want to risk it tearing, and then left it open. This evening there is a slight ā€œedgeā€ and the rest is a patch of slightly shiny new skin.

I call that a success.

7 Likes

Itā€™s a bluddy triumph, Fishers!
Soo xx

6 Likes

The fact that I attempted assassination, or at least full digital amputation, on said Fish by means of a cunningly concealed carelessly diskarded blade from the Mighty Atom is a mere detail, scarcely worthy of mention.
Yes, am currently taking a long hard look at meself. On the doorstep. In the drizzle. Wivva ===~~~

6 Likes

It missed me and landed in the wupeen, which is where it was meant to be going anyway. Whatā€™s the problem?

6 Likes

Gordon Bennet

Knife & Fork Surgery

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

And we have an Perfectly Good Finger-Removinā€™ Chainsaw.

6 Likes

Azzin the Noo Tool?

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes