So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

DHL?

(They had to cut the box open and remove the padding in order to get in and do the damage… and then they put it all back and pretended nothing had happened)

5 Likes

Hope the pecorino hunt was successful.
There are some terrible crimes perpetrated in the name of Carbonara. Not meaning joe here, btw,
I am mid baking frenzy. Experimental cookies (from a recipe elseboard) baked and cooling, nutty seedy bread for export only in the oven and pizza dough about to embark on its long prove.
Anyone fancy some asparagus & chevre pizza? I could do half of it with different stuff…

5 Likes

Just in the door and can happily report a thorough success. Pecorino, Parmegiano, smoked pancetta, two varieties of 00 flour, some very sexy looking olive oil and a flirty little bottle of balsamic vinegar. I’m going to have a lot of fun in the next few days…

One of those places you are delighted to find and will be returning to rather more often than is sensible, healthy or financially prudent. Then again, I’ve never been any of those, so I don’t care :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hurrah!
I was spolied for many years working a stone’s throw from a lovely Italian deli which served the local community in a not-terribly-smart part of London. So their stuff was gorgeous but also not at completely silly prices.

4 Likes

The (bewilderingly large) range of balsamic vinegars ran from a couple of quid up to about fifty. I was most impressed when, asking for a recommendation, the (Italian) girl serving me picked one she said had a really lovely flavour and was the one they used themselves; it was one of the cheapest. Nice to see somewhere putting genuine customer service over making a fast buck.

4 Likes

Anyone know why that link is in German? Location of server perhaps? Just curious

3 Likes

DHL?
I offer you Hermes - utter rubbish.
As luck would have it, our cottage is available for another two days and, given that we are having such a beely good time, we’ll hunker down until we must leave. I also have a Monday funeral I’d rather not attend. So - on the bright side - it’s warm, wildlife is all over this place and we are happy.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Yes, Joe, just as the blogspot links for the Ambridge Observer get re-pointed to the German site - that’s where the server is.

5 Likes

I envy ye all access to decent delis

Tonight we dined on pizza a la hovel

A base and some me made tomato-ey sauce each and toppings of choice

I had serrano ham onion mushrooms garlic olives green pepper chilli and garlic with cheese

All supermarket bought and treated proper by me

6 Likes

We’re a bit short on good delis in Wycombe too. There was a lovely shop but the bloke retired, it turned into a Local Organic Café, and then it never reopened after someone put a car through the front window. So it tends to be supermarkets or nowt.

5 Likes

Boo. One feels the environs ought to be able to support at least one.

4 Likes

Yep … as said, Drop-it, Hide-it, Lose-it.

4 Likes

Next trip to Galway? McCambridge’s comes highly recommended (though I suspect equally highly priced…)

This one isn’t that accessible from here - a 120 mile round trip! But I was dropping someone up to Rathmines, so Ranelagh was just down the road.

4 Likes

There are probably delis in Beaconsfield, and The Chalfonts, and Amersham and suchlike places, mind. I just haven’t ever looked for them, though i have hunted in vain for a good cheese shop. There is an Annual Cheese Makers Market in Beaconsfield, but it was on 7th April and I missed it, and anyway I can’t buy cheese to last for a year.

3 Likes

… & then fish & chips from McDonagh’s. The best chippy in the World.

4 Likes

It does freeze, surprisingly well.

Plan a trip to Nantwich for July 25th.

3 Likes

Here’s a deli nearby me, just now. We have purchased several yummy things to alleviate their long winter season:
http://www.taymouthcourtyard.com/
Soo xx

3 Likes

Nantwich is not a place I am likely to go to every ten days or so to get cheese, you know.

Meantime, bedtime. Goodnight.

4 Likes

Good night, Fishers, and all.
Soo xx

4 Likes

There is a very good cheese shop in Hereford wot does mail order and Fighting Cheddars
http://www.mousetrapcheese.co.uk/shop.htm

As does Paxton and Whitfield (the mail order bit, anyway).

4 Likes