So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

Drop-dead gorgeous…

4 Likes

Court? No time for that nonsense; they don’t even bother with foreplay. It’s a cetacean Tom/Hannah scenario

4 Likes

I lay out the pattern and extend the lines with tailor’s chalk like my Grandmamas both taught me

They would just lay the fabric out and chalk a pattern onto said fabric

I am contemplating bias cutting the skirt but will decide in due course

4 Likes

I wouldn’t do that, Twellsy

If you bias cut it, you won’t need the gores , & every seam will droop

Just sayin’

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

That is so very wrong. Still, it may be the root of the word ‘stiff’, one might suppose.
[Mind bleach has been deployed - plenty left]

Mr Bee and I have enjoyed a fab drive around The Borders. It’s such a beautiful and varied landscape, particularly in bright sunshine and temperatures hitting 16°C (as they were).

Soo xx

5 Likes

And I, having been shopping, was going to make a start on producing the Christmas cake for the Ma.
What have I been doing?
Stuffing my face with dried figs, that’s what. But they are lush.

5 Likes

You see Carinthia I know you will point my scissors in the right way

I enjoy learning how to do things by myself and am grateful for advice - I even have straight hems thanks to advice

6 Likes

Sodsticks, bollocks, and deflated dolphin penises.

The cake has been in the oven for 15 minutes. I started clearing the sticky wreckage sinkward. And what did I find? Half the bleedin’ ground almonds that should have gone into the bastard thing.
I could cry.
Or neck the cooking brandy.

5 Likes

Miff! Shouldn’t be allowed.

5 Likes

How much should there be, and how much actually is there? I mean, how large a proportion of the whole are they?

It may be perfectly nice without them. The trouble is, no way to tell.

Can you drill a small hole underneath it and sample the “core” from the drilling?

4 Likes

There was 250g of flour and should have been 65g of ground almonds to 3 eggs, 250g each butter & sugar and 1.1kg of vine and dried fruits and toasted nuts. In practice, slightly under half the almonds went in.
I am greatly afraid of fruit sinkage.
I probably could take a soil sample but it will be too late to rectify the problem.
And now I must off to medicate a cat. Maybe she would like to share the rubbing brandy with me…

5 Likes

I shall cross my fingers that the missing 35g out of 800g of Ingredients if we ignore the dried fruit and nuts will turn out not to have mattered.

5 Likes

I think that is the kindest way of saying ‘drama queen’ I have ever encountered, dear Fishy. Grately heartened by it.
And Marmey has had her thyroid medicine, and coming back in there was a faint fruity, cakish aroma.
Fingers crossed.
And achtaehellwiit, I can always make another and live off this one myself all January ;- )

5 Likes

I know a Bird that doesn’t care if the fruit in a cake has sunk…

Seriously, it wasn’t meant to sound like calling you a drama queen; I was just trying to work out what proportion of the ingredients it was and got slightly surprised.

4 Likes

Is this a cake wot needs ‘feeding’ with booze ?

Will it be iced?

Slice the top orff, so that it’s level, & turn it upside down.

There’s a Christmas Cake thread elseboard too

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Interesting spelling of ‘cook’ there. But yes, to both.

TBD, but not before it gets where it is going: that way madness lies, else.

And Fishy dear, I self-identified, and it is literal violence to question my queeny status ;- )

Meanwhile, cake is some way off being done. My oven, or my magnificent job with the double lining of the tin and the protective brown paper wrap?

5 Likes

[sharpens knife, fork ‘n’ beak]

Oh, I’m sure you’ll make the right decision.

5 Likes

Given that you are my go-to cake guru, Gus, I am confident of success :smiley:

Off to Melrose after another enormous breakfast. We’ll be late-lunching on fresh crab sandwiches (in his case) or salad (in mine). Folk concert, this evening.

Good days, all.
Soo xx

5 Likes

A holiday essential for Mr Gus, those.
Sounds like a good sort ovva day, dere Bee, which is splendid.

Cake looks fairly convincing, which is a relief.

5 Likes

Yay! Happy waggle dance and stuff.

Soo xx

5 Likes