So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

…and impressive biceps

6 Likes

Joe I have scrawny arms compared to the size of my body

I do knead bread as a part of ongoing physio to keep my hands as supple as possible

I make pastry by hand for similar reasons

So picture a round old bag with bronze nails stretching the gluten in the bread and putting her back into the task and you have me in the kitchen

6 Likes

I can’t begin to imagine wrangling a 3 pounder.
I’ll buzz off to bed…soon
Sis izz considering a teeny bee tattoo. This may need to happen, in stereo.
Sweet dreams, Cellarites.
So xx

5 Likes

Is there anybody here?

Or have you all got RLs without me?

6 Likes

[waves to Twellers]
Here, miss!

5 Likes

The horror… the horror… no bacon!

yardarm

4 Likes

Bacon now procured

Anyone fancy a bacon buttie?

I have a disaster here in ye olde hovel

My glasses have broken

Snapped at the bridge

So I have the leg and lens for my good eye on - held in place by plaiting my hair to hold the leg in situ

6 Likes

That is an unreasonable embuggerance. Is reasonably prompt replacement / repair possible? (Could an optician fit the existing lenses into new frame?)

5 Likes

Failing that, a nice bit of leccy tape while yer waiting…

6 Likes

Optician will try her best tomorrow

I suppose being blind has compensations - I only need one eye’s worth of vision correction for the 25% or so bit of sight I have left

I do not care about looking daft so all is well

7 Likes

Ah, a blessedly dum-te-dum-free house this evening as That Fish is off on a jolly*.

Still, I knew what I was letting myself in for…

* a “jolly” being anything that involves leaving the house by car, up to and including dentistry

6 Likes

This was a trip to visit the this-country daughter and her three sons the eldest of whom was five in September. All fairly intense. Pressies have been delivered for the Crimble Thing.

She is making Bottle Bricks – you take all the plastic stuff which can’t be plastic-recycled by your council, such as crisp packets, cling-film, the wrappers round bottles, styrofoam, plastic bags, cellophane tops from plastic packs, the outer layers of eg packs of biscuits, and drinking straws, clean them to make sure there isn’t any food on them, and once they are clean and dry choose (say) a litre plastic bottle and fill it with them, packed as tight as you possibly can using a wooden spoon to tamp them down with, and if possible making the very bottom of the bottle a single colour because that looks good when you build with them.

I am unsure about this idea. Yes, terrific to use the plastics instead of binning them to make their way into the sea. But surely it’s a bad plan building with something which must be highly flammable, and toxic in horrible ways if it burns? Does anyone have any pros and cons to add?

4 Likes

Err

Most plastics are photo degradable so they will start to break down if they are used for outside walls

I find plastic plant pots in the conservatory break up under the light of the sun

And I am in an area not known for sunny weather

5 Likes

Yup, I’d expect to see UV degradation within a year or two if they have any sort of sky view, at which point there’d be cracking, and as soon as the insides leak out…

It’s fairly hard work to get plastic bottles started burning, but when you get them to go up they keep going. So I hear. And of course, as soon as the structural integrity goes the contents will catch fire as they spill out.

Also, how do you fill in the gaps between the essentially cylindrical forms?

On the other hand if I were laying thick cement or concrete I could see it making lots of sense to embed this kind of thing inside it.

5 Likes

I hope that when they are being used to construct eg shower blocks in Africa they do get some sort of covering.

The idea in this country seems to be furniture, than which I honestly can’t think of anything sillier: ugly and impractical.

I assume if they were used as a building material in this country they would have to comply with building regulations.

Anyhow: bed. Five hours’ driving today, so I am slightly tired. G’night.

5 Likes

But what about rising water tables ‘n’ stuff?
Anyhoo - far too complicated forra beely brain.
This evening’s dinner comprised deep fried king prawns with cauli and tattie bhaji and tomato, red onion and coriander relish. Sis declared it a triumph.

Carinthia xx - we had to go to the Fish Quay, again, because Sis wanted stuff to fill her freezer. We stopped off at the Tap House and had…potted crab. You really must visit in the Spring! The Knitting Fishwife asked after you.

Sweet dreams, all,
Soo xx

6 Likes

Morning all

Windy here

Gusting to 90 mph or so

With horizontal rain

Bacon butties ready

I did extra to cheer us up on a cold dark miserable day

4 Likes

[happy peckity]

Lots of rain forecast here, but it looks as if you’re de-fanging the wind for us here.

yardarm

5 Likes

One tries dear wee birdie

6 Likes

I deny everything

5 Likes