So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

I reckon the first thing veggie recipes need to do is not pretend to be meat. There are perfectly good vegetable tastes, so one might as well use them. Get past that stumbling block and they can be very nice indeed.

4 Likes

No chance, joe. I lurve Sossinges too much to leave 'em fallow.
Soo xx

5 Likes

There was an extremely annoying militant green/veggie on the radio the other day calling for legislation to stop people eating too much meat. Started banging on about overpopulation, ethics of food production, how much vegetable matter was wasted to produce a pound of beef and how it would be much more sustainable if it were used to feed humans directly.

Then it occurred too me that not only did she have a point, but that there was a solution that would keep both sides happy. We should eat vegetarians.

8 Likes

So, a bit of the old Soylent Green, joe?
I’m not fancying it, but I get the gist.
Soo xx

5 Likes

The standards for food for humans exclude most humans from qualifying as food.

(The standards for food for sparrers are mostly “is it smaller than me and/or not moving”.)

6 Likes

My son aged fourteen declared that he wanted to be a vegetarianian. People didn’t seem to concerned until he explained…

As far as I remember, adult Americans still contain too much DDT to pass the food requirements. I don’t know about any other nationality, but Africa in general as probably still swimming in the stuff.

6 Likes

Thanks, Soo.

I’d like to do more vegetarian cooking, vegan even. I’m looking for hearty recipes that would appeal to someone who likes meat (i.e. me and Mr Janie) but which are not too heavy on the dairy, so vegetarian chilli, curry, nut loaves and so on are always good. Mr Janie likes mushrooms and nuts but isn’t too keen on broccoli and cauliflower though he’ll accept it in a curry or chilli as heavily disguised. And he likes spicy!

Maybe we could start a thread for the porpoise? (Yes, fish recipes are welcome too.) I’m just aiming at healthier eating, not aiming to be purist.

6 Likes

Do it! I would be interested: I have a vegetarian coming to a meal tomorrow and have decided on tomato-and-onion soup followed by mushroom/cheese omelettes with fresh bread and … well, that’s it, really. I will share the recipe for Vegetarian Brick if there is a thread to put it on.

6 Likes

Be careful with the omelette - some can be fussy about dairy. (I found out the hard way)

ETA: And eggs, of course (though if anyone criticises the ethics of our egg supply, it won’t just be the turkey that gets stuffed. And they’ll have Bella and Jilly to answer to…)

7 Likes

I will thunk on veggie receipts after Strictly

7 Likes

Good nights, Cellarites.
Best Dreams,
Soo xx

5 Likes

Bacon butties and fresh loaves on the table

I might get a share before cellarati descend like gannets and go through the lot in a heartbeat

6 Likes

7 Likes

Thass norra gannet

5 Likes

It’d see orf the gannet.

6 Likes

'ere. 'ave a gannet if you’re gonna get fussy.

7 Likes

ta, Armers. Always good to have a gander at a proper gannet.

6 Likes

Round here, crows see off red kites as a matter of course.

yardaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarm!

6 Likes

\______/ <-----Cold Sossinges

Steps smartly to one side…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Bzzzzzzz.
Swoffle.
Scarper.
Soo xx

5 Likes