So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

And here is the scarf – which neither of you can have 'cos it’s for Sudden Daughter:

and

5 Likes

Coo! Colour me impressed.

I hadn’t realised until I looked it up just now that the rainbow flag has been ‘rationalised’ to six colours.

4 Likes

She was very clear about that, and about which shades of colour she wanted, and that it had to be cotton. She didn’t actually specify that she wanted it the size of a college scarf, but that was how it turned out. I just hope to goodness that she likes it!

3 Likes

Can’t imagine that she wouldn’t like it. It is a very fine scarf.
No criticism intended 're the six colours - I just didn’t know / had never noticed

4 Likes

That’s absolutely stunning, Fishy

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I am just reading on wiki - as I was wondering if the sixth colour was indigo or violet - that it is a combination of the two. So you can still say ‘Richard Of York Gave Battle InVain’ but you have to say the last two words quickly, running them together. Lovely scarf, I am certain Sudden Daughter will adore it.

4 Likes

The conventional seven-colour rainbow only exists because Isaac Newton thought there ought to be seven colours in it, so he invented a division.

5 Likes

[sulkity] [sulkity] So they were lying to me in primary skool. Who can I sue?

6 Likes

Exactly. The division into seven was anything but rational, related to Newton’s alchemical beliefs. In fact it’s a continuum, dependent on wavelength. There’s a fun tool to play with here:

3 Likes

Oooo thank you everyone

I have a nice rioja to share if anyone fancies a drop?

4 Likes

Meh.
Where does hyacinthine fall, where wine-dark, where bronze? You can’t be feeling blue, the Greeks didn’t have a word for it. Now I know Foucault about Linguistic Relativism, relatively speaking, but I do think the theory that perception is ruled to an extent by vocabulary (who hasn’t been keeping up with the latest papers, eh, Gus?) has legs. Possibly insufficient legs for the weight dumped on it at one time, but still…

3 Likes

You’ll be learning lojban before we know where we are, eh?

3 Likes

le mi varkiclaflo’i cu culno lo angila

3 Likes

just pursuing a train of thought here, joe, arising from a wild guess, but how easy do you reckon it would be to play the flute with a Babel fish stuffed up each nostril?

3 Likes

But Babel fish live in yer ears!

4 Likes

Not invariably, Twellsy. One could build them little nose-ladders, like they do for salmon.

4 Likes

Fishy dere

We need info about a cousin of yours…

3 Likes

Mia kusenveturilo estas plena da angiloj

3 Likes

Mia angilo estas plena de pasaĝeroj kaj valizoj: li estas kuraĝa kaj virta angilo. Via kusenveturilo estis misa kaj enprofundigis.

3 Likes

Many thanks for kind wishes. Today has been a goodun.
Good nights, Cellarites.
Soo xx

4 Likes