So, who wants to help ... to rattle on in the cellar?

:flushed:

4 Likes

I thought that the spire was slightly too ‘thin’, IYSWIM. Made it look unbalanced to me

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly, Carinthia. I visited N-D in the early 80’s and loved it - apart from the spire, which looked like a skinny dovecote, to me. As I’ve stated, I very much wish that the fire hadn’t occurred. Also, my sympathies are with the injured fire-fighter and those who grieve the damage.

I have spent almost a day feeling norshus - unusual for me - and have no idea what has caused this. Sushi ginger has been nibbled and I am considering roasted fennel for my main (and only) meal of the day.

Soo xx

5 Likes

Yes, ‘skinny dovecote’ is perfect

We visited in 1980, on our honeymoon, & then again 10 years later.

‘Vast amounts of grey stone, interspersed with splashes of Glory, both inside & out’

DiL is wilting with a queasy sort of cold. She has been working until 7-30pm for weeks now, including most Saturdays, & is about to hit the buffers, I feel.

The Air Pressure is exceedingly ‘wonky’ here too

Medicinal Gin should be taken

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

Thank you. I shall take that in the spirit in which it is intended, Carinthia :wink:
By the way - that Beefeater stuff made me feel even more queasy, Hedgers :nauseated_face:

Soo xx

4 Likes

Don’t blame yer, Soo, especially wiv that perfectly good bottle of Sipsmith behind it.

[pourity] a soothing wossname or two.

Back from pub, went to sleep, woke up an hour later and now it’s raining.

5 Likes

Sympathy for DiL, Carinthia.
Soo xx

5 Likes

The spire in that form is a mid-nineteenth century addition – or rather, it was. I mourn the glass more than the spire, if I am honest. It may be that they’ll see reason and have a slight rethink on the spire’s design, but I am unsure the glass will be replaced like for like.

And it is all very well them saying all the time that it’s a twelfth century building, but they didn’t look after it at all from its desecration in 1790 for many decades, and only started to think anything of of it again or bother to take care of it after Victor Hugo’s Hunchback of Notre Dame some time in the 1830s. After that they did some badly-needed restoration work on it and stopped it from falling down…

And yes, my sympathy is for the injured firefighter more than anything. Things (however glorious) are things; people are people.

5 Likes

Interesting note on the firefighting protocols in use.

https://twitter.com/\_theek_/status/1117895531563372544

5 Likes

Bits of that thread made me cry.

I hope that the person who said the glass is in better shape than was first feared is correct.

4 Likes

That was heartening to read, Dunnock

The stained glass is almost my favourite thing there, but I confess to weeping when I saw the gold cross above the altar

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I agree on both counts, Carinthia. Thanks for that thread, Hedgers - I’m off to the kirk, but I’ll read it all on my return.
Soo xx

4 Likes

There are people on there feeling sorry for trees.

Now, I like trees I have several, many of which I’ve planted myself, but they aren’t sorry for the potential loss of a vista, or the loveliness of an established avenue, they’re actively sorry for trees.

Trees which were planted originally for this very purpose.

I do worry about people sometimes.

6 Likes

Well, quite - this is a default position of mine, too. Thank goodness that the fire-fighting protocols had this at the forefront. Trees - well - we have a surfeit of oaks near here, planted by Admiral Collingwood, to ensure a goodly future supply for the fleet. He used to wander about his estate, with a pocketful of acorns to scatter and encouraged family and friends to do likewise. After his death, his widow continued this worthy future-proofing and had many oaks planted in the College Valley. Obviously, we have plenty of oaks to spare…

Soo xx

7 Likes

Copenhagen!

All right, that probably deserves an explanation.

In the morning for I am an Evil Birdie.

6 Likes

Pedunculate oaks, Hedgers?
Oh, well. Be evil, if you choose
Soo xx

4 Likes

Aha! The Battle of…
None the wiser - did Collingwood fire acorns at the Danes? I know that you won’t tell me, as you are newly evil, Hedgers.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Wellington boots. Or was it scrambled eggs?

4 Likes

Think about the Danes rather than Collingwood, I suspect.

4 Likes

Also Trinity (Cambridge).

5 Likes