So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Aye, well. Ye haven’t lived, joe.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Oh, phew! Delighted you like it and it is useful, joe. It is, as I said, an adaptable beastie - doesn’t have to be hot, depending on who you are cooking for. And it is only one, not-very-messy pan. Assuming you have a stick blender if you want it smooth, that is.

I am all for saving on the washing up, becauzse I is a slut and a slattern.

But - how were the burgers, apart from utterly splendid? What herb mix do you use?

5 Likes

It’s Nigella L’s cake: I am merely an evangelist.
Is anyone here a devotee of really dark grown-up gingerbread, btw?

5 Likes

Dark gingerbread is something that I can make reasonably well, Gus. I do rather fancy that stem ginger one you made lately, however.
Soo xx

4 Likes

The stem ginger was a ‘cba to shop’ substitution for crystalllised. I am definitely going to get crystallised for the next time I make it, just to compare :wink:

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2015/1005/743160-irish-gingerbread/

This is the brute. [FRANTIC EDIT: no, it isn’t quite, it differs slightly from the recipe I used, which I will happily email to any as wants it]
But lemon glace icing - (6-7oz icing sugar, as much lemon juice as required) is a permissible addition. A good one, imo.

4 Likes

Thoroughly spooked. Could hear low, rumbly growling of the kind normally produced by very large dogs what are doing it as a Warning to one to stay right there and not move a muscle Or Else. Gus, you’re imagining things. Then I heard it again.
You’re probably ahead of me here, but it was Mrs B. Cat, between curtains and the Tiniest French Window in Sarf Lunnon. So I hopped out for a fag and to deter intruders. Nothing I could see, and nothing I heard departing. But I am back in and she is still growling intermittently.

I knew cats could growl and Pidge has been known to do so: but I have never heard anything quite like this, not from a cat.

6 Likes

I am glad to hear that you are being properly protected.

5 Likes

aye, but what from?
I am actually rather jittery, which is stupid. Isn’t it? Please tell me I am being daft. I shall go and do Loud Washing-up meanwhile.

4 Likes

Might there have been a fox in the vicinity? Heidi behaved like that when she spotted a raccoon on a neighbour’s roof.

6 Likes

You’re not being daft, Gus, but I think that Janie’s cool and calm suggestion of a pesky fox might
be a sensible notion.
I looked after a neighbour’s rabbit, many times. The first time it growled at me I thought that Cerberus had entered the room.
Soo xx

6 Likes

Blimey, I didn’t know rabbits could growl!

6 Likes

They ruddy well can, Janie. I invited Mr Soo to be my witness after that first shock and he got a Very Big Shock.
Soo xx

6 Likes

I always enjoyed Giddy Kipper’s accounts of her bossy buns on Peet’s. She had one that would supervise all work being done in the house. And they’d train you to do what they wanted, apparently. Well, same as cats of course.

5 Likes

I like the fox idea. I would like it even more if I had heard friend Reynard foxtrot oscaring when I went out, though. And I didn’t…

But growlage has stopped for the time being and there are some clean dishes.
Love the idea of Savage Growling Bunnies, though

5 Likes

Another friend of mine has a house rabbit who is sweetness and light, as long as everything Goes His Way.
Soo xx

5 Likes

The Poodle has grown accustomed to the disciplinary growl of a Savage Bee, Gus.
Soo xx

6 Likes

Watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen go by?

5 Likes

Well, if they care to drop off a spot of brandy as they pass, I will happily turn a blind eye.
Meanwhile, since the valiant defender of hearth and home has naffed off upstairs perfectly calmly, I imagine that the Sabre-toothed Possible Whatever must have moved on. A Wendigo?

5 Likes

House rabbits can throw highly impressive strops. I haven’t heard one growl but am quite prepared to believe it.
G xx

4 Likes

The noisiest animals we have ever given a home to were a pair of Nyasa Lovebirds. They beat the barking of our Terrier into a cocked hat. We gave them away to a bloke with an outdoor aviary as we were both studying (or trying to) at the time. I know - one should never confine a Bird.
Soo xx

4 Likes