So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

Wear rubber gloves & try to loosen it that way, or use small pliers to get it going

WD40 should work, & isn’t too noxious, but you’ll need to make a paper shield, of sorts

Going back to bed could be an excellent idea , & save a lot of hassle/frustration

Take an Large Drink with you

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Rubber gloves would be good if it was simply that the nut isn’t budging. But what is happening is that nut and bolt are both turning in their socket and the head of the bolt is flush to the frame so there is no way of getting a purchase on that to hold it while exerting brute force on the nut.
Bed and a bucketful of booze sounds good. Is it too early to start drinking? Were that in Latin, it would be prefaced by ‘num’, being a question expecting - or at least hoping for - the answer ‘No’.

4 Likes

Hmmm. Why cat not included? In an update on the Saga of the Frame, I had unclipped my work - which needed repositioning anyway - the better to wrangle with the refractory nut. Guess what. Cat is now sitting on the canvas. No doubt flexing that mysterious internal string which causes vast quantities of fur to fall out, which they deploy when they find themselves on a neatly contrasting surface.
Gah!

5 Likes

Gus, there’s been a yardarm, so it isn’t too early.

Any chance of a photo of your problem?

From what I’ve read so far it sounds as though the difficulty is bracing the bolt. Could you superglue something to the other end of it to serve as leverage? (Dissolve in acetone later.)

5 Likes

Now that’s a thought! Love playing with superglue. It’s hereditary, I think: my father had an araldite fixation (ha! inadvertently good choice of word there)
It is one of these: I think the image is zoomable.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0063G4RA4/ref=asc_df_B0063G4RA451860831/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B0063G4RA4&linkCode=df0&hvadid=255870769144&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16756632842957823675&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044975&hvtargid=pla-363934116181&th=1&psc=1

4 Likes

Pliers at both sides looks like the only answer really. One has to be a two-plier-family, though.

(Actually I would go for overkill and get the shiny not-nut side firmly in a pair of mole-grips, but I love my moles.)

4 Likes

Have tried to grip it with me trusty adjustable spanner, but it’s a small, very thin smooth dome and it is Not Happening, unlike rococo cursing. No shortage of that.

I have now shrouded the surrounding wood in cling film and am seeing what a spot of the old Father Son & Holy Ghost may do.

4 Likes

I’d say you need two pairs of pliers. Fairly heavy duty, to get decent purchase.

4 Likes

Sorry Chris - posts crossed there!

3 Likes

Success! It is undone! Yay! 3-in-1 to the rescue.

I definitely need that drink now, though. Am a hot and sweaty mess.

3 Likes

I’m a 5 Plier Fambly…

All Small, & Perfectly Formed…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Nyer-nyer. Actually I probably have more pliers than you do, dere. Most of them for the making of jewellery, though, so of limited utility for Bodging.

4 Likes

Not sure how many sets of pliers we have here. One that lives on me belt, the needle-nose and nylon-jaw ones I mostly use with the 3D printer, a couple of sets of five tiny ones, some bigger ones, the Moles if you count them…

5 Likes

I have them from jewellery to medium small

So useful for wrangling needles & the like through leather*, & dislodging rivets from jeans

*I used to repair cricket/hockey pads & kickers

Haven’t got the hands for it now

Liberates Pitcher,& Brightens Considerably…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Not to mention the Cheese Pliers, Hedgers…

5 Likes

Your post, delightful though it is in itself, is greatly enlivened if one does as I did and sees an N in ‘kickers’ where there is none.
Not sure if if’s my mind or my eyes…

4 Likes

Are they matching?

5 Likes

I have no pliers

I have a Bull

I am able to undo the cheese cage here though

6 Likes

The cheese is out! The cheese is out! Run for your lives!

[braces self]

[peckity] [peckity] [peckity]
[peckity][peckity]
[peckity][peckity][peckity]

5 Likes

Are you trying to peckity it to death or just ingesting sparrerly, Hedgers?

5 Likes