So, who wants to help ... to take refuge in the Cellar?

The Incognito stuff is very good, FantaFish

We had full-strength Deet on the go, which isn’t exactly Elfy either for humans, or the environment

Mango Chutney has been sharpened, reduced, & put into a jar, & the licking fingers test suggests that it would make a good sharp sauce for the Crispy Duck which went down so well at Christmas

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

The blackout curtain-liners which I bought say they are 66" wide. The curtains I had up had a label in them which said they are 66" wide. Why then are the blackout liners a good two inches wider than the curtains, I ask peevishly?

At the moment I have a single liner covering the whole window, and doing a very good job of keeping out the light earlier today, so it looks as if they will do the job when I finally manage to match the one to the other, but I think that is not a job for the evening.

3 Likes

I can’t declare a vendetta against midgets, Armers. Looking into a mirror could prove fatal.
Soo xx

4 Likes

I’ll measure them, FantaFish

They are supposed to be gathered up to fit behind each curtain

Meatloaf wiv Garlic & Cheese has been made

It was a pleasure to have the oven on as it has dropped Ferkin Cold here, although I suppose that’s relative

I think that Medicinals are in order…

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

When mozzies bite me, they die soon afterwards.

They’ve still bitten me, though.

Night all.

5 Likes

Summat in the Fevvers?

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Wot a good idea, Carinthia.

yardarm

5 Likes

Here’s the proof, Dunnock.

Print it out and keep as a handy reference.

4 Likes

Not sure I need to print out a thing that says “keep drinking”, really. I generally manage that on me own.

5 Likes

A day late and a dollar short as usual, but here you go, Fanta. Both recipes Claudia Roden’s. Forgetting your dietary constraints, I initially thought of the first of these two as it is a less sweet tagine and I never came across anyone who didn’t like it. Oh, and because it is complete in itself. The second would need something to accompany - couscous or flatbreads or similar.

Tagine Bil Batata Wal Jelban, serves 6

3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 med/lge onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, crused
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp saffron threads
1.5kg lamb (boned shoulder or neck fillet) cut into 6 – 8 pieces
salt & black pepper
1kg peeled new potatoes (waxy kind)
500g peas
peel of 1 – 1 ½ preserved lemons
16 or more green olives (if very salty, soak in cold water for up to an hour)
2 tbsps chopped coriander
2 tbsps chopped flat-leaf parsley

Heat oil in wide lidded pan / casserole. Add onion, garlic, ginger, saffron and meat. Cook over a medium heat for about five mins, turning the meat to seal. Cover (only just) with water, season with salt and pepper and cook, covered, over a low heat for 1 to 1 ½ hours until the meat is very tender, turning the pieces once in a while (about 4 times in all normally does the trick). Add the potatoes, cutting any large ones in half, and top up the water if necessary. Cook for a further 20 minutes or so until potatoes are becoming tender. Add the peas, preserved lemon peel cut into thin strips (if using), olives, coriander and parsley and cook uncovered for a further 5 minutes or until peas are tender and the sauce reduced and thick.

You can substitute young broad beans for peas, but they need cooking for at least 10 mins, so add after the spuds have been in for about 15 mins.

Or, if you can obtain frozen artichoke bottoms (if you have a friendly Turkish/middle Eastern shop in striking distance) you could use them, defrosted, adding after the potatoes have been in for about 15 mins, too

OR

Tagine Bil Bouawid, serves 6

1.5kg boned shoulder of lamb
5 tbsps sunflower or vegetable oil
1 onion. chopped
salt & pepper
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp saffron threads
500g baby onions or shallots, peeled
3 large pears
40g butter

Proceed as for the previous recipe (using 2 tbsps of oil at this stage) for ingredients from lamb to saffron.
Blanch baby onions/shallots in boiling water for 5 mins and when cool enough to hadle, peel/trim. Saute in 2 tbsps of oil over a gentle heat until slightly coloured (5 – 10 mins). Add to the meat and cook for a further 30 mins until the meat and onions/shallots are exceedingly tender. Towards the end of cooking time, remove the lid to reduce the sauce – there should only be a little, thick liquid remaining.
Wash, quarter and core but do not peel the pears. Saute in a mixture of butter and the remaining 1 tbsp oil until the cut parts are slightly brown and caramelized. If they are not softened right through, put into the pan over the meat, skin-side up, and continue to cook, covered, untl they are very tender. They need watching else they will collapse when your back is turned.

You can use Granny Smiths or similar apples instead of pears.

3 Likes

Oooooooohhhhhhhhh!

(Reaches for Recipes file to put copies into)

Thankyou very much!

3 Likes

A pleasure. Very much recommended, both of them. Oh, and there is a quince variant on the second - would you like the destructions for that?

3 Likes

ooooooooooh

Yes please.

2 Likes

Hokay, to make it Tagine Bil Sfargal, forget the pears and instead use 3 quinces weighing in total approx 1kg (these would be the socking great ones sold in Middle Eastern shops; if you have smaller domestic quinces, adapt accordingly for the same total weight).

Scrub but do not peel the quinces and boil them whole until they feel soft - approx 1 hour for the monster ones, but it does vary quite a bit) Drain, quarter and cut out the cores, leaving the skin on. Saute in sunflower oil until the cut sides caramelise a bit - or you can cheat and use less oil and a bit of butter and honey, but that comes up v sweet in the end dish. Add to the meat, skin-side down and cook until they are properly soft. Like the pears, they needs watching as they find it highly humorous to fall apart on you. Serve with them skin-side up.

3 Likes

More thanking you. That’s triffic.

I have nothing to contribute; I am working on the Fallon entry for the directory, and thanking God fasting that she is not so all over the village as Emma was in 2004.

4 Likes

(yawnity)

Pleasant cool cloudy day. Looks like time forra

yardarm

4 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Bedpost notches

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bedpost notches

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Bedpost notches

I am just in off my hammock…

So a nice beer would be nice

Please?

2 Likes