The Duxford Sisters

One of them is Lulu, but does anyone happen to have noticed the name of the other? I think it begins with M, something like Moira or Monica, but I simply cannot remember it.

1 Like

Not very imaginative, the young writers workshop rejects in TA scripts, are they.

Who in their right mind would name a couple of high-flying celebrity chefs, after an RAF Museum?

3 Likes

Miriam? It was something that didn’t quite ‘go’ with Lulu.

Le ‘restaurant’ nouveau
Qui va ouvrir bientot -
Ce n’est qu’un sale bistrot.

Enfants, en garde!
Les pieds de canard -
Partout, p’tit chou -
Les pieds de canard partout

Et Sacre Bleu! et
La Plume Sainglante de ma Tante!
Que les Soeurs Heureuses
Sont emmerdantes…

Enfants, en garde!
Les pieds de canard -
Partout, p’tit chou -
Les pieds de canard partout.

4 Likes

The Enemy, dere.

3 Likes

Les Soeurs Heureuses doesn’t exactly trip off the tongue; I suspect they’ll bomb because people can’t bring themselves to say they are going there, or recommend the place.

On the other hand (o god) we can look forward to Jennifer or Lynda trying to say it; a sort of prolonged throat-clearing. Ser-her-rer-s.

3 Likes

‘You canNAT be serzereuz’? It does somewhat trip off my tongue but we all know that is no measure of anything.

And Lynda could walk into a job overpronouncing names from a language she neither speaks nor understands on R3 any day of the week. Their over-enunciation of Deeply Strange Foreign (E. Europe, Baltics, Japan) is even more cringeworthy than their mispronunciation of Local Foreign Wot They Think They Do Speak. Italian brrrings outa the very wurrsta in dem-a.

3 Likes

I am serious in thinking that yeraverage Brian won’t know how to say it.

It was said, with I suspect some truth, that only the advent of serve-yourself off-licence shops made it possible for Liebfraumilch to continue to be sold in this country, because people were so reluctant to try to ask for it by name. Sales went up once they no longer had to try.

3 Likes

Which is probably why Blue Nun sold by the tanker load back in the wine merchant days.

Is the restaurant really called Les Soeurs Heureuses? Do the scripties not know that restaurant kitchens are hot and short-tempered places? Les Soeurs Furieuses peut être?

3 Likes

Similarly Rioja being renamed to Pomal for the UK market.

3 Likes

Ah, I don’t think one can quibble - except possibly at the lack of imagination and the rather clunky echo of ‘Happy’ - about the actual name of this proposed restaurant. When were (UK, mostly but not confined to London) restaurant names at all rational? And when they do get rational, like just a building or a number in a street, there is them that doesn’t take kindly to that, either.

Oh, I long to open up a tiny little place, The Gay Benares Snail. Or some such. No snails, homosexuals or bits of brassware will be served. Plated up, I mean.

3 Likes

*****t, when did they do that? Passed me by entirely, whereas Rioja on the whole did not.

3 Likes

I used to like Slovene Reisling - back in the days before it became Slovenian. Cheap as chips… A pint pot of that would last you a whole meal and only looked (and tasted) like cheap cider. Just sayin’

4 Likes

Pomal was 1980s I think.

2 Likes

Pomal is a vineyard in the Rioja region.

4 Likes

Yes. Some time in the 1980s all (or a significant fraction of?) Rioja was re-branded Pomal for the UK market on the basis that people would be more willing to ask for it. I don’t believe it lasted.

4 Likes

I’d never heard that.

Maybe I drank through the era.

6 Likes

Miriam it was - Fallon mentioned it on Sunday.

The only thing that ought to go with Lulu is Jack…

2 Likes

I don’t know who goes with Lulu.

In my opinion. You shouldn’t bring her, in the first place.

You can bring Pearl. She’s a darn nice girl.
But don’t bring Lulu.

You can bring Rose, with her turned up nose.
Just don’t bring Lulu.

Are we clear on this?

3 Likes

What about Tess with her no and yes?

4 Likes

Thanks, Joe. There is listening again that I might want to do, and then there is anything this past week.

2 Likes