The Politics Thread

It won’t be, because 8th May moves around during the week. As does 1st May, which is why we have never had a May Day bank holiday.

3 Likes

Which was why I was careful to write “May”, rather than “May Day”. (Actually I should have written Early May, of course - I forgot there are two!)

Don’t forget that the early one is a recent innovation anyway (except in Scotland) - it was only introduced in the rest of the UK in 1978 and was contentious from the start. As I said, there are plenty who would wish to see it done away with, and possibly replaced with something rather less attractive - witness the call for a “United Kingdom Day” (to celebrate something that two of the four constituent countries actually voted against…)

5 Likes

As the mood music from government is all about treasuring our essential workers, I feel that International Workers’ Day might have been given more prominence.
The jingoistic crap around VE day made me queasy, but I let others do as they wish - I don’t (and didn’t) have to join in. Did listen to Queenie, though.
Soo xx

5 Likes

I always feel they have a bit of a nerve standing at a podium emblazoned with “Protect the NHS”…

5 Likes

“I support the NHS. That’s why I didn’t vote for the party that wants to turn it into a bad copy of the American system.”

5 Likes

I always feel they have a bit of a nerve showing themselves in public, joe.

Soo xx

5 Likes

Applause forra Bee :clap:

5 Likes

It wozza gift, Gus.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Those that do, anyway…

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware of this when I wrote that, but I can’t say I’m remotely surprised (certainly not given the so-called newspaper responsible)

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 12.55.51

5 Likes

Is that really not a spoof?

Good grief.

5 Likes

It would appear not:

5 Likes

I have a viscose dress cut on the bias tacked and hanging

Now to knit a at

5 Likes

Political bias, of course :- )

5 Likes

Something to do with Siamese twins?

4 Likes

That article makes play with Samuel Johnson’s “patriotism is often the last refuge of scoundrels” – a misquotation, he said “patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel” – without apparently thinking what that means: that a scoundrel would only try that one on as a last resort, when all else had failed, because it simply isn’t plausible.

Now, if only he had said “patriotism is the first refuge of a scoundrel” it would mean what people assume it does, that patriotism is something scoundrels find congenial. Or indeed have any understanding of.

6 Likes

Strewth. I take it all - ok, let’s not go overboard here - I take some of it back. Would sooner have TA than ABdPFJ.

Had not realised today was the first Sunday of the four-day week. Because I am not A Lert, probably.

6 Likes

TA will be at 8 instead of 7:03.

6 Likes

That, my dear young Piscine, is what I call a double whammy.

Also, thank you.

6 Likes

Via That Carinthia:

4 Likes