The Politics Thread

Thank-you Dear Dunnock

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

I must confess to a snigger when “Clap for Boris” did the rounds

5 Likes

As I have said before, there was no clapping for the NHS at this end of our long road, which was most odd.

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

The Two Minutes’ Love seems to have stopped round here.

5 Likes

It has stopped everywhere. Officially. Inasmuch as it was ever official in the first place. Apparently there was something encouraged for the NHS’s birthday, though.

5 Likes

By the party that voted against its formation 21 times.

5 Likes

Well, if it hadn’t been formed it couldn’t be flogged off, joe, now could it?

5 Likes

Wouldn’t be the first unformed idea people have been sold…

5 Likes

Meanwhile, across the Atlantic, serious philosophical questions are being raised:

“I’m the only politician in history that I’ve actually kept more promises than I made”

5 Likes

Would that be the Orange Idiot?

5 Likes

Any political messages from a country that invented Covid parties is dubious I think

5 Likes

Just when you thought things couldn’t get worse, apparently the Daily Excrement is trying to drag us into the B****t BS:

“LEADING Irish political figures have drawn up a plan that would see Ireland follow Britain by leaving the Brussels’ “bullies” and quitting the European Union.”

For the record, this is about the “Irish Freedom Party” - a handful of Farage’s stooges. They fielded precisely eleven candidates at the last election, none was elected. The only thing they lead in is the number of deposits lost; most of them went out at the first count.

6 Likes

It’s domino theory all over again (or more along the lines of “those chancers got what they wanted, maybe we can too”).

At this point Ireland is the only natively-Anglophone point of contact with the EU. Sort out how to get goods across the UK without the border formalities and you could cash in…

5 Likes

People have been managing that for nigh on a hundred years…

…or so I’m told*. Not that I’d know anything about that sort of thing personally, of course.

*Possibly by a little bird. But I wouldn’t know anything about that, either…

5 Likes

Well cows have managed to smuggle themselves over the Border since 1922

6 Likes

The trick would be getting between Ireland and the rest of the EU without border formalities on either side of the UK, which is a bit trickier.

I recommend trebuchets.

Yrs, H. Sparrer, Gurt Big Trebuchets Inc. (prop.)

5 Likes

Back in the early 80s, I was on a tour of Germany with local orchestra & choir. One of the trips was a visit to the border, with a talk on the history from one of the border guards.

During his (very interesting) spiel, he suddenly broke off, frowned and stared off to one side. After a few seconds, he turned back to us: “I wonder if I should report this?” He pointed to a clump of weeds: “That butterfly just defected…”

7 Likes

Your COVID restrictions in full:

Blue: back to work!
Green/Yellow: some restrictions on large gatherings
Orange/Red: do not leave your home

5 Likes

Eh? Whut? Who?

6 Likes
Clue

Note the thread I posted in.

Another Clue

I got the image from here.