The Sparrer's Quiz

I knew two (7 and 10), and all my guesses were wrong.

2 Likes

Forgot to put this up last week.

1. What diesel powerplant was used in railway locomotives, minesweepers, and a single fire engine?
  2. When was the Bent Pyramid constructed? [3600BCE] [3100BCE] [2600BCE] [2100BCE]
  3. “The Lincolnshire Poacher” numbers station was broadcast from Bletchley Park, then later from Akrotiri. What was the signature (interval signal) of the parallel station broadcast from Guam, then briefly from Australia?
  4. Who served his country as soldier, Prime Minister, President, and King?
  5. The baseball player Hank Aaron died on 22 January. In which city’s teams did he spend his major league career?
  6. When was the Élysee Treaty of friendship between France and Germany signed?
  7. What did Prof. Shabir Madhi, director of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine trials in South Africa, originally plan to study?
  8. What name was used by the MAKE.MONEY.FAST spammer?
  9. What did the Spitzedersche Privatbank (1869-1872) and the Ladies’ Deposit Company (1879-1880) have in common?
  10. What was the name of the WWI destroyer created by welding together two ships of the same class?
1 Like

2, 6 & 9. I think.

< crestfallen >

2 Likes

I think the winner got 4.5, so not bad. Answers in the morning.

2 Likes
1. What diesel powerplant was used in railway locomotives, minesweepers, and a single fire engine?

Napier Deltic

2. When was the Bent Pyramid constructed?

2600BCE

3. "The Lincolnshire Poacher" numbers station was broadcast from Bletchley Park, then later from Akrotiri. What was the signature (interval signal) of the parallel station broadcast from Guam, then briefly from Australia?

Cherry-Ripe

4. Who served his country as soldier, Prime Minister, President, and King?

Zog I of Albania

5. The baseball player Hank Aaron died on 22 January. In which city's teams did he spend his major league career?

Milwaukee

6. When was the Élysee Treaty of friendship between France and Germany signed?

(I gave a point for 1958-1968.)

7. What did Prof. Shabir Madhi, director of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine trials in South Africa, originally plan to study?

Engineering

8. What name was used by the MAKE.MONEY.FAST spammer?

Dave Rhodes

9. What did the Spitzedersche Privatbank (1869-1872) and the Ladies' Deposit Company (1879-1880) have in common?

They were both Ponzi schemes (Also, both run by women)

10. What was the name of the WWI destroyer created by welding together two ships of the same class?

HMS Zubian (Front of Zulu, back of Nubian)

4 Likes

#4 I should have known.

< gloom >

3 Likes

Two guesses got me 2 right

3 Likes

I got Albania but not Zog, which is simply Strange; and four others. Now I want to know WHY I knew Zubian?

2 Likes

Score to beat: 4.

1. Which US state was the first to designate an official state dinosaur?
  2. Four UN member state flags have a representation of a firearm. Eight have a depiction of the flag itself. Name either of the two that have both.
  3. Among the many Soviet rocket launch failures, one rates as one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever. Who was the high-ranking casualty who gave his name to the disaster?
  4. Approximately how many new board games were published in 2020? [1,000] [2,000] [5,000] [10,000]
  5. In what decade did the Old Trafford Cricket Ground first open?
  6. What ghost town is still a territorial capital?
  7. In what decade was the world’s deadliest balloon accident? [1810s] [1860s] [1910s] [1960s] [2010s]
  8. For which TV show was the term “self-destruct” invented?
  9. The ZX81 was Sinclair’s first great computer success. What was Sinclair’s first computer, based on the National Semiconductor SC/MP?
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1243/4723903421_4a29601e65_b.jpg
  10. Who said “I am not fit for this office and should never have been here.”? [Woodrow Wilson] [Warren G. Harding] [Calvin Coolidge] [William Howard Taft]
3 Likes

Gosh, I can answer number 9 … I had one …

4 Likes

5 & 10 I am confident of, 1 fairly sure.
Bugger. Just check re 1 and my fairly sureness was misplaced.
Have a gecko. You know you want to.

3 Likes

Possibly I need to get the heid doon. Which when the Oaf returns I shall.

3 Likes

Swat!

I have got nil pointes

2 Likes

Since I shall be busy shortly:

1. Which US state was the first to designate an official state dinosaur?

Colorado (in 1982)

2. Four UN member state flags have a representation of a firearm. Eight have a depiction of the flag itself. Name either of the two that have both.

Haiti or Bolivia (both of them cannon; Mozambique’s AK47 is the only modern firearm)

3. Among the many Soviet rocket launch failures, one rates as one of the largest non-nuclear explosions ever. Who was the high-ranking casualty who gave his name to the disaster?

Nedelin (Chief marshal of Artillery Mitrofan Ivanovich Nedelin; officially he died “in a plane crash while on an undisclosed mission”)

4. Approximately how many new board games were published in 2020?

5. In what decade did the Old Trafford Cricket Ground first open?

1850s (when it was well outside urban Manchester)

6. What ghost town is still a territorial capital?

Plymouth, Montserrat (abandoned in 1997 due to volcanic eruption)

7. In what decade was the world's deadliest balloon accident?

2010s (26 February 2013 in Luxor; 19 dead)

8. For which TV show was the term "self-destruct" invented?

Mission: Impossible

9. The ZX81 was Sinclair's first great computer success. What was Sinclair's first computer, based on the National Semiconductor SC/MP?

MK14 (with 256 bytes of RAM and an 8 or 9 digit 7-segment display)

10. Who said "I am not fit for this office and should never have been here."?

Warren G. Harding (of Teapot Dome, but also of the Washington Naval Treaties.)

3 Likes

It would be cheating if I answered, because ones I know are because they’ve been mentioned recently.

3 Likes
  1. Which survivor of the collision of Victoria and Camperdown in 1893 went on to be a senior officer at the Battle of Jutland?
  2. The Abel Prize in Mathematics was named after Niels Henrik Abel (1802-1829), and discussion of it began in 1899. When was it first awarded? [1903] [1923] [1963] [1983] [2003]
  3. Which actress appeared in at least one film of each of the Carry On, James Bond, Hammer horror and Pink Panther series?
  4. Where would you find a fly side?
  5. Which director made films with two leading men later (separately) tried and acquitted of murdering their wives?
  6. Who wrote: “This growing tendency of women to overshadow the masculine is a sign of a deteriorating civilization.”? [Thomas Edison] [Beatrix Potter] [Nikola Tesla] [Woodrow Wilson]
  7. One of the causes of the English Civil War was Charles I’s attempts to raise Ship Money in times of peace. For what purpose was this money initially wanted?
  8. What cookery book, the best selling in the 18th century, introduced into English cooking both trifle with jelly and piccalilli, and was owned by Washington, Jefferson and Franklin?
  9. There are two Leverhulme Medals awarded by different British organisations. Name either.
  10. Who wrote: “If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist.”? [Lenin] [Marx] [Stalin] [Trotsky]
3 Likes

(Sorry, I rather seem to have lost sight of my objective to “ask things that normal people might know”. Winning score 2.1; 0.1 points awarded for answers that amuse me.)

3 Likes

Do we know any, dere?

Not doing too badly on this one, relatively speaking. Answers for five of 'em.

3 Likes

Nope! not a clue!

Signed Fick Plod

4 Likes

I have a definite 3 (one because I know my Kipling, one because it was so completely against the grain, and one because who else would it be?) plus one possible because I know That Bird.

And I am fairly sure that the answer to one of them ought to be “none of the above”.

3 Likes