The Sparrer's Quiz

That’s long enough.

1. Which survivor of the collision of Victoria and Camperdown in 1893 went on to be a senior officer at the Battle of Jutland?

(then-Commander) John Jellicoe

2. The Abel Prize in Mathematics was named after Niels Henrik Abel (1802-1829), and discussion of it began in 1899. When was it first awarded?

2003 (Interrupted by the breakdown of the Norway-Sweden union.)

3. Which actress appeared in at least one film of each of the Carry On, James Bond, Hammer horror and Pink Panther series?

Valerie Leon (Also The Italian Job and the Hai Karate advertisements.)

4. Where would you find a fly side?

on a flag (the side further from the hoist)

5. Which director made films with two leading men later (separately) tried and acquitted of murdering their wives?

Peter Hyams (The films being Busting (1974, Robert Blake) and Capricorn One (1978, O J Simpson))

6. Who wrote: "This growing tendency of women to overshadow the masculine is a sign of a deteriorating civilization."?

Nikola Tesla

7. One of the causes of the English Civil War was Charles I's attempts to raise Ship Money in times of peace. For what purpose was this money initially wanted?

To pay Philip IV of Spain for his assistance against the Dutch

8. What cookery book, the best selling in the 18th century, introduced into English cooking both trifle with jelly and piccalilli, and was owned by Washington, Jefferson and Franklin?

The Art of Cookery Made Plain and Easy, Hannah Glasse (Also one of the first English recipes for curry.)

9. There are two Leverhulme Medals awarded by different British organisations. Name either.

Royal Society, British Academy (One for pure or applied chemistry or engineering, the other for a field within the humanities and social sciences)

10. Who wrote: "If anything is certain, it is that I myself am not a Marxist."?

Marx

Let the arguin’ commence!

3 Likes

I had a cautious 4 annan incautious 5…

Carinthia. xx

3 Likes

A solid five. V hacked off at myself re 4.

3 Likes

You are in good company; I had that one sprung on me when I was thinking about something else, and didn’t get it (sudden visions of a rugby field interfered).

I guessed 6 correctly, got 7 right, got 8 right, got 10 right, and disagree about 2: it was awarded in 2002 as well, a sort of extra to get it done on the double-centenary of his birth, though they made it official the following year. (There was a programme about it on the BBC at the time.)

3 Likes

This is more aimed at the Friday night virtual pub mob, who had two joint winners with 6 points each.

1. How many airships were shot down during the Second World War? [none] [1] [2] [3]
  2. How many people now alive have walked on the Moon?
  3. When did the Battersea Heliport open? [1954] [1959] [1964] [1972]
  4. What was the first computer chip subject to a full recall?
  5. There were twelve Insect-class gunboats. Which one wasn’t named after an insect? [Drudge] [Spider] [Tarantula] [Waterwitch]
  6. How many no-hitters have been thrown in Major League Baseball (since 1876)? [87] [194] [222] [311] [406]
  7. How many rovers (mobile surface or air vehicles) have been landed on Mars? [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]
  8. Approximately how many languages have living speakers? [2,000] [4,000] [7,000] [10,000]
  9. Where is the longest guided busway in the world? [Adelaide] [Cambridge] [Essen] [Nagoya] [Seattle]
  10. In South Africa, what is a “robot”?
3 Likes

No coment, dere ;- )

Except that it was evidently pitched about right, of course.

2 Likes

Oops!

1. How many airships were shot down during the Second World War?

1 (K-74 of the US Navy, shot down by 20mm cannon fire from U-134 off the Florida coast.)

2. How many people now alive have walked on the Moon?

3 (Charles Duke, Harrison Schmitt, David Scott)

3. When did the Battersea Heliport open?

4. What was the first computer chip subject to a full recall?

Intel Pentium (for the FDIV bug, after they tried to claim that most people wouldn’t notice)

5. There were twelve Insect-class gunboats. Which one wasn't named after an insect?

Tarantula (The last of them to survive, sunk as a gunnery target in 1946.)

6. How many no-hitters have been thrown in Major League Baseball (since 1876)?

7. How many rovers (mobile surface or air vehicles) have been landed on Mars?

7 (Sojourner, Spirit, Opportunity, Curiosity, Perseverance, Ingenuity, Zhurong.)

8. Approximately how many languages have living speakers?

7,000 (of which between 50% and 90% are expected to be dead by 2100)

9. Where is the longest guided busway in the world?

Cambridge (From St Ives to Trumpington, 16 miles of dedicated track.)

10. In South Africa, what is a "robot"?

A traffic light

3 Likes

…Unintended Consequence?

Completes the sequence rather neatly, I feel.
Mind you, so does BANG!

4 Likes

In the Beginning was the Word,
and the Word was

“Oops!”

4 Likes

Forgot to post this on Friday when I ran it for the other mob. Images are harder work to include here, so I’ll put notes in [brackets] where needed.

1. What was the other 1973 film [i.e. not _The Wicker Man_] to feature Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland?
  2. Who was the first person to play Robin Hood on television? [Richard Attenborough] [Joel Grey] [Martin Landau] [Patrick Troughton]
  3. Who was the first Turing Award winner not to be either British or American? [Edsger W. Dijkstra] [Kristen Nygaard] [Niklaus E. Wirth] [Andrew C. Yao]
  4. which British city recently lost a UNESCO World Heritage Site, only the fourth ever to be delisted? [Bath] [Edinburgh] [Liverpool] [London]
  5. The latest Code-Point Open data set (May 2021) lists 847,183 individual delivery units (full post codes, e.g. “E13 9JE”) in Great Britain. How many outward codes (area plus district, e.g. “E13”)? [558] [712] [1183] [1524]
  6. Which Apollo mission was the first to carry a Lunar Roving Vehicle? [Apollo 13] [Apollo 14] [Apollo 15] [Apollo 16]
  7. The term “lich” for an undead wizard is a 20th-century coinage. By whom? [Dave Arneson] [Gardner Fox] [Gary Gygax] [Robert E. Howard]
  8. Kipling’s 1888 novella The Man Who Would Be King is largely set in “Kafiristan”. How is this place better known? [Kandahar] [Nuristan] [Panjshir] [Nothing, it’s fictional]
3 Likes

I knew two off the top of my head; I guessed another one correctly.

3 Likes

The other lot’s high score was 4 points.

1. What was the other 1973 film to feature Christopher Lee and Britt Ekland?

The Man With the Golden Gun

2. Who was the first person to play Robin Hood on television?

Patrick Troughton (In a 6-part BBC production in 1953.)

3. Who was the first Turing Award winner not to be either British or American?

Edsger W. Dijkstra

4. which British city recently lost a UNESCO World Heritage Site, only the fourth ever to be delisted?

Liverpool

5. The latest Code-Point Open data set (May 2021) lists 847,183 individual delivery units (full post codes, e.g. "E13 9JE") in Great Britain. How many outward codes (area plus district, e.g. "E13")?

6. Which Apollo mission was the first to carry a Lunar Roving Vehicle?

Apollo 15

7. The term "lich" for an undead wizard is a 20th-century coinage. By whom?

Gardner Fox

8. Kipling's 1888 novella The Man Who Would Be King is largely set in "Kafiristan". How is this place better known?

Nuristan (When Abdul Rahman Khan conquered it in 1895, he imposed Islam, and changed the name from Kafiristan (the unbelievers) to Nuristan (the enlightened).)

2 Likes

Oh dearie, dearie me. Two. And one of those was sheer luck.
But

Isn’t TMWTGG 1974?

2 Likes

Um… The Man With The Golden Gun is listed as 1974.

I got Liverpool and Nuristan, guessed Patrick Troughton, guessed Apollo 16 (bah) and disagree about Gardener Fox.

2 Likes

And I can’t count. Three. Liverpool, which I was sure of and thus forgot to include, Nuristan (not really quite a guess because kafir to nur is a plausible progression) and the postcodes (fahsands of 'em).

3 Likes

I managed to get 4 !

I may need an drink…

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Oh, well done! Slammers for the Chatelaine!

3 Likes

Beams… :blush: :grinning:

Carinthia.xx

2 Likes

I surprised myself, having had a cotton- wool head all week

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

I had TMWTGG listed as 1973, but fair enough.

Gardner. In The Sword of the Sorcerer, which appears to have been published first in 1969.

H P Lovecraft used “lich” for a corpse possessed and then animated by a wizard in “The Thing on the Doorstep” (1933/1937) but that’s not quite the same thing, which is why I didn’t list him as an option. And obviously there’s the C9 and onward usage for a dead body without any implication of animation.

3 Likes