Use and abuse. Oh, and prejudice

flocci non facio!
[unrepentant grinnity]

3 Likes

Adds fruit especially figs to list of things limpets do not care for

3 Likes

Never liked figs until I was introduced to the real thing in a Seoul market. Glorious - though they donā€™t 'alf make a mess of your shirt frontā€¦

5 Likes

Ha! Iā€™ll have you know that I am rather keen on fig vodka.
And baked figs stuffed with chĆØvre and wrapped in parma ham.

5 Likes

That is a cruel thing to mention to someone lacking all three ingredients.

5 Likes

Drizzle with a very little runny honey before baking ;- )

5 Likes

And you were the one muttering about your thread having been subvertedā€¦ Hah!

5 Likes

All right then.
ā€˜Averseā€™ is now an endangered species. About eight times out of ten, at a guess, mumsnet posters are ā€˜risk-adverseā€™ or ā€˜not adverse toā€™; and it canā€™t always be spellchecker.
Avert! Thass wot I say.

4 Likes

I am fighting a small battle with myself about the ā€œof redundantā€. When I meet it I hate it, but at this precise moment I canā€™t think of an example.

5 Likes

Youā€™ll probably think of one while getting off of the bus, dereā€¦

4 Likes

The Bull talks about redundant programmes built into our computer system frequently!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the badger, Gus. Was that off of the top of your head?

4 Likes

ā€œLooseā€ for ā€œloseā€ appears to be another lost cause.

4 Likes

The problem is that spellcheckers canā€™t always deal with malapropisms. The more sophisticated can suggest alternatives, but ultimately rely on the user making the correct choice.

4 Likes

That is why it is so pork irresponsible irksome.

4 Likes

Actually, an example such as I was really meaning would be ā€œI canā€™t put into words how huge of a help this has beenā€.

Do they say that? Or is it only when they are faced with writing down their emotions that they go slightly mad?

The other one of course is the is-stammer: the trouble with it is is that it makes no sense in almost all cases, but there are a few in which it does and so it can be justified by the ignorant, the stupid and the wilfully annoying.

As for the difference between ā€œmayā€ and ā€œmightā€, that is clearly a lost cause. ā€œHe was not wearing a safety helmet, which may have saved his lifeā€ was said by the BBC more than ten years ago about a man who had been killed by being struck on the head by a cricket ball.

4 Likes

I must have had the proper use of English drummed into me as a primary school child

Thatā€™s how I know about rule breaking!

3 Likes

Oh yes. Commonly, and Americanly, ā€˜itā€™s not that big of a dealā€™ā€¦ It mirrors a legitimate adverbial construction which itself is not much of a problem.

The double ā€˜isā€™ is a strange one. Seldom found in print, ime.

4 Likes

Many years ago I had a friend who used the double-is all the time, and eventually asked him why. He was a bright lad, and therefore thought about it long and hard; about three days later he came back to the question and said that he thought it must be because he heard it so often in other peopleā€™s speech and was simply parroting. He never did it again that I heard.

But then, he was also the one who used to talk about pronounciation until I showed him how pronunciation is spelled, at which point he looked horrified and said that he had never seen it written down before,

4 Likes

ā€œAsā€ is another sufferer.

Much as I like the word in some contexts, it gets thrown in gratis and redundant at the start of phrases such as the first one here, so that it reads ā€œAs much asā€.

This may just be an Americanism, but it still irritates me.

4 Likes