Viral DOOM

I’m in favour of them; anything less than a full surgical mask suitable for theatre may only protect you from 80% of other people’s breath, but it will protect other people from 100% of yours.

5 Likes

I’m undecided, having worn the blighters at w#rk for quite a few years. Hence:

The correct removal, disposal etc. is critical - like not moving them under one’s chin when back in the car, thus smearing grot onto one’s face…I’ll think on it.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Yes, especially when in shops /amongst people.

They won’t protect against the virus, but ensure that any droplets/spray are not shared.

They also stop you touching your face (as much)

You cannot go into a shop in Austria without one, & clothing firms are making very attractive ones which keep people in work, & support the economy. Ideally, you need at least 2, which will withstand hot washing.

Other countries insist that they are worn when outdoors. They regularly take temperatures too.

I have been looking at the patterns available on the Internetty

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I don’t touch my face much, if at all, unless I’ve washed my hands. This izz prolly because of wearing masks for such a long while. I’m still thinking on it - I have seen a bit of bad practice with masks, both in theatre and recently, amongst joe public.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Taking off/putting on properly are really important, &, as Dunnock says, we are not invincible whilst wearing them, & must be careful to observe all possible protocols.

Interestingly enuff, the formerly loose bread rolls/baked goods at Tiny Tesco are now individually wrapped & sealed.

I still don’t buy them…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Absolutely. Doing that properly is a quick enough habit to get into, but one does have to think it through (or be trained in it).

5 Likes

Helpful Hint

I wash Compression Gloves & Stockings every day

Because they are elastic, I cannot use either hot temperature or fabric Softener /Conditioner

I wash at 40deg, & use Dettol Laundry Sanitizer instead of Conditioner.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Surely the best thing for destroying coronaviruses is soap? If washing your hands with soap for twenty second destroys them, wouldn’t immersion for half-an-hour in soapy water at any temperature be equally effective?

Since my home-made mask has to have its straps undone at the back, that is where one touches it, perforce.

4 Likes

…and it does.

[grabs handcream, misses point]

5 Likes

Hot soapy water is the key, I think.
Remember when we used to boil stuff?
Most modern day fabrics can’t cope with high temperatures, & we are all encouraged to wash at lower, anyway. This means that the products we use have ever more nasties in them to get stuff clean.

‘Heat & steam keeps it clean’

Oh, & Milton is good too… :wink:

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Malt does more than Milton can…

5 Likes

Taken from Orkney and/or Shetland libraries…
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EVeVxWKXQAITh1o?format=jpg

5 Likes

Schute?

4 Likes

I’m still mulling over the mask problem. I worry about some people’s attitudes to hygienic application, removal and disposal/cleansing - not those here present, of course. Mr Bee treated himself to a trip around Tesco, this morning. A clear one-way system with arrows had been provided and, still, people were walking the wrong way and generally being arses. It wasn’t even busy! How might such as these actually master the ‘art of the mask’ ;). I imagine that, should mask-wearing become the norm, we’ll have to conform as we may be stoned to death as ‘carriers’. Ugh; and still no flour to flourish azza triumphant badge of honour on hizz return.

Soo xx

5 Likes

I am in the annoying position of having bought 3kg of self-raising rather than plain flour by accident last time I want shopping last year, with the result that I have two bags of self-raising and half a one of plain – I use more plain, for all the things like sauces.

Can one make sauce with self-raising flour?

6 Likes

I think that the baking powder therein would taint the flavour, Fishers. But - any port inna storm, these days, tbf. I often use cornflour for sauces instead of plain flour.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Yes, Fishy, one can

I use cornflour for most sauces, TBH. It still needs ‘cooking off’, but is less ovvan faff than flour.

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Apparently, the problem is that flour is available in big sacks, but there is difficulty obtaining household - sized bags to put it in.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Yes, so it seems, Carinthia. There has to be a way to sort this out - also to avoid good beer and vegetables being chucked out. Too much stuff, all at once, I suppose. Still, all a bee wants is some plain, strong white and wholemeal bread flour to keep the hive (mainly Mr Bee) sustained.
Soo xx

4 Likes

Fishy, I don’t think that the raising agent inna tablespoonful of SR flour would spoil the sauce

With cornflour, you don’t need to make a roux, or beurre manie, but you can add butter later to make the sauce glossy

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes