Viral DOOM

That’s how I feel, soo. No, I’m not panicking (and I’m not panic buying either) but over the last couple of years the people I love have developed an annoying habit of dying, and I’d rather not lose any more of them just yet, thank you very much. If that’s being paranoid, well tough, I can’t help it.

6 Likes

In one way very good Gus

In a remote rural community however a trip to the doctor might be the only outside contact you have all week

No transport to get you to the village shops no transport to get you to church

Just the aching pain of the elderly infirm and desperately lonely

That soon affects mental as well as physical health

So on one hand great to clear the surgery on the other phone consultations and the practice nurse can help answer the phone when not doing her work appointments and in the background the isolation of the elderly and so so lonely

7 Likes

So would I

6 Likes

That’s a separate issue, which isn’t resolved* by exposing those most vulnerable to the risk of infection.

*Well, not in a good way

6 Likes

Hear hear, Joe

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I see that the ROI have closed all schools…

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

I went and had a short back and sides while the barber is still open (there is a rumour that someone within forty miles of the shop has tested positive,so they may shut in a panic at any moment) and the degree of alarmism going on in there would have frightened me if I were not aware that about 98% of what was being spouted was bollocks.

5 Likes

To be fair, they would be closing anyway for St Patrick’s Day

7 Likes

It is no wonder people are panicking when the BBC, no less, put out tweets like this…

https://twitter.com/BBCIsleofMan/status/1238391166435033089

The main reason for the decision is to provide cover if the regular staff are off sick, but the sensationalist reporting is unforgivable, in my view.

8 Likes

Ha! Cheered up a friend as we drove past a field which appeared to be being cleared for a housing development by telling her it was more likely a mass grave ;- )

9 Likes

Here hotels are being requisitioned as extra hospital beds along with military facilities

Police are being let loose before all their training is done and being encouraged not to retire

7 Likes

No need for panic, all you need to do is be sure to wash your hands…

5 Likes

UK Games Expo officially postponed until August. Stealing Tabletop Scotland’s weekend and forcing them to postpone too.

Just the Eastercon left of big events I was planning to go to, and I suspect they really can’t afford to cancel without an official ban on gatherings to give them cover.

5 Likes

There’s the rub, Dunnock
Unless it’s officially banned, a lot of money is going to be lost

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Neither of those was a ‘like’ like.

Sparrer, I suspect the official ban will come in time for Eastercon. Probably by the skin of its teeth.

5 Likes

Let’s hope the committee are poker players, then.

5 Likes

The problem is both sides are gambling with your money, but it’s not actually make-or-break for TBTB. Be prepared for “collateral damage”…

5 Likes

It isn’t actually make or break for any of the people who have paid between sixty and ninety quid membership up front; the committee won’t lose money either, since they have presumably already paid the venue using the memberships they have in hand. The venue will make money, since they have been paid for not having to do anything.

The thing that will be costly is hotel rooms for five nights for everyone who had booked one. And the committee are not going to be helping anyone with that, so their gamble isn’t going to be relevant.

5 Likes

This reached me in the form of a retweet by our Chief Constable, no less, an’ I think it’s wonderful. That’s the way to do it…

https://twitter.com/JayneMcCubbinTV/status/1240020837442424834

3 Likes

If the committee cancels, they have to offer to refund memberships, with the money they’ve already paid the hotel for function space. Most of the members will say “keep the money”, so they’ll be out the cost of the membership and their personal hotel rooms.

5 Likes