Viral DOOM

Thought for the day:

We go out of our course to make ourselves uncomfortable; the cup of life is not bitter enough to our palate, and we distill superfluous poison to put into it, or conjure up hideous things to frighten ourselves at, which would never exist if we did not make them.
— Charles Mackay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, 1841

4 Likes

The only thing we have to fear is fear itself. FDR, 1933.

4 Likes

And the incompetence and malice of those with power over our lives.

4 Likes

No particular disrespect to FDR*, but that has always struck me as utter bollocks.

• or to a Fish, for that matter
3 Likes

Well, in the specific context of stock market collapses and bank runs, it made reasonable sense.

4 Likes

A very fair point.
However, I contend that in most contexts it’s neither useful nor true.

5 Likes

Gus, I think in this case I am more frightened of fuel or food riots brought on by people’s baseless fear than I am of a virus which has a lower death-rate than flu does. Or than pneumonia, whooping cough or measles.

4 Likes

Particularly when the increased incidence of such diseases is itself the result of reckless misinformation.

5 Likes

Well, the increase in the incidence of measles is definitely because of a campaign designed to cause fear.

5 Likes

Not just measles:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/measles-confirmed-cases/confirmed-cases-of-measles-mumps-and-rubella-in-england-and-wales-2012-to-2013

(Despite the link name, that actually covers 1996-2019)

5 Likes

5 Likes

Heh!

I think a motorbike helmet might be kinder…

5 Likes

Saw that on FaceAche today, TFM

Someone elseboard did say that she was surprised at how often we touch our faces during the course of a day…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I know I do it all the time, and has anyone else noticed that the very moment you remind yourself not to, your nose starts itching like mad, even though it never does normally? Maybe that’s just me.

4 Likes

I try to keep the compression gloves on, which sort of reminds me, & I wear gloves when I go out.
I was wearing Nitrile gloves last night, to apply polish to shoes & boots, & as you say, got the itchy nose & sneezes.

My hayfever ‘season’ is really bad from February to October/November, so there’s some spectacular sneezing to come.

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I suppose that a measured yet informed attitude is required, regarding the Viral DOOM. It certainly is doom, for those who succumb, but we are all (maybe not me) sensible people here and will maintain a weather eye on events. I may err on the side of caution, but I’d rather risk a red face and ostracisation than to say that COVID-19 is anything other than a potential killer. So - look after you and yours and stay well.
Love,
Soo xx

6 Likes

Look on the bright side - you’ll have no problem getting a seat to yourself on buses and trains…

6 Likes

In Carinthia & Styria schools & universities are closing as of next week,until Easter at least, as are public swimming pools, museums & attractions

Gatherings of more than 100 people indoors, & 500 people outdoors are cancelled throughout the whole country &many Orsepiddles are asking that visitors stay away -probably to ensure that they have enough masks & disinfectant to try do do their jobs .

In a land where children are taught from a very young age to shake hands, everyone is now trying to unlearn that & either offer a ‘Namaste’ or a Loud Smile

Carinthia.xx

8 Likes

Here the doctor is appointment only rather that wait your turn

This will hit the folk who go to the doctor for a social chat in the waiting room…

6 Likes

good

7 Likes