Was that a good idea?

I suppose I shouldn’t mention the Clitheroe Kid?

3 Likes

We could have the start of a long list here …

2 Likes

You’re right, Janie, you shouldn’t.

1 Like

Not keen. Not Dodd levels of squirming dislike, but leaves me cold.

1 Like

I have to make a terrible confession here: I know all the names, but know nothing whatever about any of these people you are all mentioning.

2 Likes

I looked at the lyrics to ‘Truly Scrumptious’ fully expecting the word to have been used. It isn’t … but it always will be in my head.

[quote=“Fanta, post:25, topic:270”]
I know all the names, but know nothing whatever about any of these people you are all mentioning.
[/quote]So that means whenever anyone asks “where’s my shirt” your mind doesn’t immediately convert that to a high pitched Lancastrian drawl as per Jimmy Clitheroe ???

(shakes his head in a combination of sadness and deep regret)

4 Likes

ISTR this was another of his catch phrases in comedy sketches, with John Laurie, Talfryn Thomas and Judith Chalmers, in his mid-1960’s radio series.

1 Like

Like I said… It doesn’t mean you’re a bad person. :grinning:

2 Likes

I have a vague childhood memory of a rather boring programme called The Clitheroe Kid which was supposed to be funny. I don’t recall anything about shirts.

[quote=“Fanta, post:30, topic:270, full:true”]
I have a vague childhood memory of a rather boring programme called The Clitheroe Kid which was supposed to be funny. I don’t recall anything about shirts
[/quote]It was an awful Sunday early afternoon ‘comedy’ sit-com on the predecessor to Radio 4. Just before ‘3-way Family Favourites’.

The Clitheroe Kid (Jimmy Clitheroe) was the star. His brother (Alfie) would regularly come in looking for his shirt. He borrowed that phrase from Ken Dodd.

The show, even to my 8 yr old mind, was awful, even then.

3 Likes

I shan’t worry too much, then.

I may be immune to some sorts of comedy, though. If it is “victim humour” I am unlikely to enjoy it; and that includes “I’m a victim” humour, too. I didn’t enjoy William as a child either, because someone was always the victim in it; Jennings pleased me more, because it was a build up of circumstance causing the absurd to happen, rather than uncaringness or malice causing people to look fools. On radio, the Goons, and on TV Monty Python, appealed to me more than (say) Man about the House.

Were people victims in The Clitheroe Kid?

2 Likes

Far more mentally scaring than any of the above - Norman Wisdom.

3 Likes

Ewww. Thou speakest sooth, mfrp. Where is it he is worshipped as a god? Romania?
Actually, the worshipping as a god bit might be somewhere else, and involve Prince Philip, but you get my drift.

2 Likes

It’s not at all clear how seriously they take it; Pacific Islands religion is rarely po-faced.

2 Likes

Which makes PtG a highly suitable choice

2 Likes

Good grief. We definitely agree on comics. Exactly my reaction to the two of them!

2 Likes

Albania when the Stalinists ran the place. He was taken seriously and literally as a downtrodden worker, Gawd 'elp us.

4 Likes

That’s the one!

3 Likes

Although it is sometimes shrunken-headed.

2 Likes