Was that a good idea?

I don’t remember the radio show but I remember the tv version. It used to make me and my dad laugh. But I was very young!

2 Likes

Alfie was Jimmy’s exasperated elder sister’s dim boyfriend. He was often Jimmy’s victim. The radio version still turns up on R4E and I still don’t like it.

I also don’t like Steptoe and Son. Brilliantly done, but more of a tragedy than a comedy to me. I have the same reaction to Charlie Chaplin.

4 Likes

Good correction Cradle.

I am the same with Steptoe. It made me sad, not laugh. Chaplin … to me about as funny as Lenny Henry, Geena Yashere and Patrick Keilty rolled into one.

… & that’s without mentioning Mrs. Bloody Brown.

I’d rather catch Anthrax.

3 Likes

It is just about possible that you are my non-Evil Twin.

3 Likes

Oh, oh, oh … & Count Arthur Strong !!!

What the **** is THAT about ???

… as you were.

I hope I spelt ‘Count’ right.

3 Likes

CAS is “oh look at me aren’t I stupid” humour, which is just victim humour in very slight disguise.

I like humour that is clever, not that is out for cheap laughs at someone’s expense.

I’d honestly rather have Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In than most of the things mentioned; but my real dislike went to Laurel and Hardy, which was cruel and nasty, and obvious with it, as far as I was concerned. I don’t really get any amusement from seeing that a joke is coming and then waiting five minutes for it to arrive. Harold Lloyd was meant to be funny, too, wasn’t he?

Has his moments, for me – more than L&H or Chaplin – but not all that many of them.

2 Likes

I hate CAS too.

2 Likes

I love Buster Keaton though. It doesn’t make me laugh, but I enjoy it.

2 Likes

I don’t really know his stuff.

Well. I don’t care how many of you agree with me or otherwise.

I liked Pete and Dud, Monty Python, The Good Life, Not the Nine O’Clock News, Yes Minister and Father Ted.

Pick the bones out of those, you miserable shower. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :wink: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Don’t know The Good Life or Father Ted, enjoyed Monty Python (it happened during the four years that my parents had a telly), liked what I have seen of Pete and Dud and Not The Nine O’Clock News, remember enjoying Yes Minister on the radio.

And that has reminded me: Up Pompeii and The Marty Feldman Comedy Machine, also The Goodies.

3 Likes

You’re not supposed to agree with me. :hushed:

Marty Feldman… Great!

2 Likes

You mean ‘Calculate’?

2 Likes

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

2 Likes

News Quiz (don’t like the TV version), Radio Active, Round the Horne, Navy Lark, Open All Hours, 1930’s film comedy - lots…

2 Likes

Radio Active. Hilarious. I particularly enjoyed the jingles and “Martin Brown” reporting.

2 Likes

Martin Brown was played by Michael Fenton-Stevens - Matt’s brother Paul. He’s good, so I assume the fact that Paul didn’t convince was down to the Director and SWs.

3 Likes

Did he go to Draaaaama school dahling?

2 Likes

Thinking of Archers links to radio comedy reminds me that I love John Finnemore’s writing, the Souvenir Programme as well as Cabin Pressure. Character led - what I used to like about TA.

2 Likes