Alice's Baybee Sweepstakes

Good, good, and good ;- )
After the first steps recommended above, there needs to be an urgent community-level education programme about modern contraceptive options.
Kirsty, Pip and Alice is really a bit much. Even poor bloody Hilda had kittens foisted upon her.

4 Likes

Let’s not forget the Dopeys. They certainly didn’t intend that last pregnancy, did they, though they were amazingly - incredibly in fact - thrilled about it. So that it would be tragic when Ruth miscarried.

6 Likes

Sukebind. The obvious explanation is sukebind.

6 Likes

Que??

No entiendo Senora

6 Likes

Starting with “keep the knees together, luv”.

6 Likes

And for men

Keep it in your trousers

6 Likes

Cold Comfort Farm reference.

5 Likes

Aaah

Never read the book…

5 Likes

Even when you are married, sex is Right Out.

6 Likes

Sorry to bore on about this, but it beggars belief that none of Pip, Alice, Kirsty and Helen were on long-term reversible contraception. Most believable in Kirsty’s case, I suppose, given that after the Vestry Wailing she had been relegated to the ranks of the great unfucked; and she also has Views on chemicals…
But Pip?
And it was never believable to me that a control-freak like Helen was relying on barrier methods (pretty obviously a cap - not a lot of them about these days). Alice being on some version of pill and messing up because of dedication to her piss-artistry is credible, but only if considered in isolation. On the other hand, she was, in pre-dipso days, highly motivated not to conceive; that and her engineering background suggest strongly to me that she would choose implants…

But then again, it’s a soap. Pregnancies will either be accidental or assisted. The first sign of labour will be a messy splish, etc

7 Likes

And where would melodrama be without unwanted/unexpected/inconvenient pregnancies, eh?

6 Likes

On a higher level of creativity

6 Likes

Yes, but the episode yesterday was written by Stimpson.

6 Likes

…and a lower one of procreativity.

6 Likes

I await Radio Carter’s response when all is revealed to her

6 Likes

“That’s what you get for not marrying a Horrobin.”

5 Likes

And Jenny darling will need the sal volatile

7 Likes

I am Hopping Mad.
That consultation. It was not ABOUT the pregnancy, primarily, but about alcohol withdrawal effects. So why did The Husband got to sit in and put his oar in. Why was he not politely invited to leave/ushered out? Why was the possibility/advisability of a termination not even broached, let alone it being emphasised that Alice does not need husbandly permission for that decision?
But we had a doctor with a Pakistani name being non-judgmental about a female drunk, so that’s all cool.

Oh and the detox being urgent because she is pregnant. FFS. Sunk cost fallacy? No, not that, possibly the reverse, in fact. Gahhh, muzzy brained here.

‘Let’s do this for the sake of an entity with no legal personality that is probably irreversibly damaged already’.
Fuck. That. Shit.

5 Likes

No experience of the technicalities of any of this, but very little ovvit rings true…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Yes, exactly. Why, if ‘the only thing that matters is the baby’ does no one have the courage and honesty to tell Alice that it is a bit late to give up drinking for the baby’s sake? Presumably at some point in this latest session she must have been asked how much she had been drinking. And to cause this level of withdrawal it must surely have been a stupendous amount.

So really, as you say, why has no one mentioned a termination? How does saying nothing when they know she has drunk extremely heavily for her entire pregnancy mesh with the official advice that there is no known safe level of alcohol consumption during pregnancy?

6 Likes