Alice's Baybee Sweepstakes

mess with the official advice’, dere? More water with it next time? ;- )
Alternatively, ‘advishe’…

5 Likes

I think that the writers are just terrified of offending the sentimentalist “every woman must have Baybees, every Baybee is Perfick” segment of the audience. They did a lousy job of the last damaged one, and they will not even contemplate a termination.

But given that we are asked to believe that Chris did not notice this level of alcohol consumption, Mr Plausibility has not only left the building, he’s in a fast car to Elstree to see if there’s any work for him on Stenders.

6 Likes

Damaged? No. Faulty, yes. No blame could attach to Vickoi (apart from her annoying habit of breathing, a gung-ho attitude to perimenopausal contraception, total lack of consideration either for husband or intrisically defective sprog’s prospects. Oh, and continued breathing).

This one, yes: damaged.

6 Likes

I find the not noticing is more common than we may think, actually, Dunnock. Friend with an alcoholic mother was still finding empties months after she had died.

What I find particularly difficult is the sudden escalation - yes she was always pissed to a degree, but to have the DTs after 12 hours without a drink?
I don’t think that I had caught on to her rapid need for the hard stuff.

I suppose I ought to listen more often

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I wish I had said that…

6 Likes

Not sure that would have helped you much (in more ways than one).
There hasn’t actually been much on-air evidence of her necking spirits - the emphasis had been on wine. But I suppose at work it would have been vodka…
They weren’t quite clear on the difference between a serial binge-drinker and a functional alcoholic, I think, for much of the time.

5 Likes

I’m still trying to disentangle me thoughts. If that was pithy, it was also inadvertent; but then, it’s late and I’m pithed…
If you can explain it, you may lay claim to it and welcome.

6 Likes

Were you not pointing out an apposite Spoonerism?

5 Likes

Sadly, I wasn’t. derr. But it has followed you home, joe, and you may keep it.
How’s the pheasant? Kind regards to the resident poultry.
Gxx

5 Likes

Given the average age of the R4 audience may I suggest that the editors are being a bit optimistic about the age menopause for the average woman?

The ishoos are usually to educate the audience them so they can make informed choices

5 Likes

remind the audience that everything always ends well if people just admit they have a problem and Get Help.

4 Likes

Oh I forgot about the sugar coating on the pill that Alice forgot to take!

4 Likes

The audience can now make an ‘informed choice’ to police its daughter-in-law’s drinking, though. Imagine the fun! Pity Christmas won’t be happening, really. Baileys slapped out of the poor cow’s hand because "better safe than sorry, dear - you never know, do you’…

5 Likes

“Carry your grandchild? I’d kill it myself first.”

This public service announcement brought to you by Sparrer’s Bruvver’s Emporium: whether it’s a little slitty knife or a big stick wiv nails in it, we’ve got you covered for all your family discussions.

5 Likes

Alice was born on 29th September 1988, and is now 32; what on earth has menopause to do with her being an alcoholic?

5 Likes

I took Twellsy to be referring to the audience’s age rather than Alice’s.

6 Likes

Still no idea what menopause in anyone whatever has to do with a story about someone in her thirties being a pregnant alcoholic.

4 Likes

One tends not to get pregnant after the menopause, and therefore the message Booze Is Bad For Baby has little direct personal relevance for the audience.

5 Likes

That’s what I meant Gus

Granny can swig away at the gin in her teacup since she is very unlikely to fall pregnant

Young women however should shun the devil’s piss in case they have sex and almost magically fall pregnant with the same monototous regularity as the young women in Ambridge

So the storyline is not aimed at the audience

5 Likes

Thanks for explaining.

4 Likes