Knittery and Stitchery and Stuff

Calling all knitting brains

I have a gorgeous decoration on a very very old jumper
2 cats sitting side by side 1 black and 1 silver all in sequins

It is more tasteful than it sounds

However the jumper (40 years old) is a bit of a worn out acrylic disaster

So I thought I would knit a black jumper in plain aran weight cotton and put the cat on it

Ravelry shows this as a plain jumper

Any thoughts folk?

5 Likes

That is a lovely jumper and a clearly set-out pattern (as one expects from Drops). The pattern is written for a sport-weight woollen yarn. I am not at all sure that aran weight cotton would be an equivalent. See if there are alternate yarns used in the Projects tab for that pattern first of all. If not, look for a cotton-heavy yarn that is reasonably close in yardage/weight ratio to Lima.

4 Likes

And how is the fabric decorated?

5 Likes

Snell Snyff Joe

Gus

I have yet to buy the wool

What about this

5 Likes

Iā€™d look again.- the Rico yardage is 30% more than the Lima yarn.

4 Likes

I like saddle shoulders- they always sit well . The jumper is too ā€˜chunkyā€™ for me though

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

And there was me complimenting the two of them for deigning to adorn the jumperā€¦

5 Likes

For those who remember The Knitted Map of Ambridge, I have seen, elseboard that it has been located, & is in the process of being finished.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Good for them!

4 Likes

And what do they propose to DO with it, exactly?

She asked bitterly, being enmired in a Project that is unpleasing.

4 Likes

Well, thatā€™s going to be the next problem, isnā€™t it?

The 2 quilts which were made, were auctioned for charity, which was fine, but this is rather more ā€˜nicheā€™.

There was an idea mooted about displaying it, but where, & in what?

As you know, I know absolutely nothing about knitting, but can certainly appreciate the hours of work, & skills involved, not least the people involved in putting work from so many different sources together.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Iā€™'m not decrying the skills, both craft and organisational, involvedā€¦
Maybe itā€™s worth them contacting TBTB for website coverage, which could lead to a decent charity auction. Although the current Ishoo is probably Save Pisssd!Alice, which might not be the most direct route to hearts & wallets.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think that that will be happening anytime soon!

Unlike the quilts, it is of no practical use, so I think that it will be framed & hung

Somewhereā€¦

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Outreach work wiv Hungry Moths?

5 Likes

I once organised a bit of patchwork, I forget with what actual intention; there were an unfeasible number of squares on some theme I now cannot recall, each made by a different individual, and it was then lotteried at a convention for some charity or other. I do remember that I was pleased that someone I actually liked won it.

It was huge, and totally useless.

4 Likes

The BBC ML quilts were stunning,& the work was exquisite - there are a lot of very talented people about .Howsumevva, as you say, they are huge,& need to be either used onna bed, or displayed. The first one was sold for the benefit of ā€˜Children in Needā€™ which was seen as the Beebā€™s Charity
Fine, as far as it goes, but they encountered problems with the 2nd one, which was, again, beautiful work, but was not to benefit CiN, as the rules had changed.

It was, AFAIR, bought by an MLer for another MLer

The KMoA was, apparently, intended for use as a bedspread, and,in some circles, seen as the knitters trying to keep up with the sewers.It was not a practical idea, canā€™t be washed,& would ruin it, but Hey Ho

Itā€™s not quite the Fundraising equivalent of sitting inna bath full of baked beans, but comes Pretty Damned Close, IMNSHO

Sigh

Turning Good Will into money is exceeding hard ā€¦

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

I wish to ask advice from a chatelaine

I am taking my new skirt fabric to craft tomorrow and am thiunking of a cheat in the front

Instead of cutting two panels for the bit from waist to knee can I just put the centre to a lengthwise fold thus cheating a pattern match?

I do not think I need to match the other seams nor the frill round the bottom

Yours

One lazy bat trying not to ruin nice fabric

6 Likes

Iā€™m glad you didnā€™t ask me that, Twellsy - Iā€™m struggling to understand the question.

Another gorgeous day here, bright sunshine but a good breeze and just 14 deg. If only I could get out and enjoy it but Iā€™m stuck waiting for a supermarket delivery.

5 Likes

[projects air of total bafflement]

5 Likes

Itā€™s an easy enough question TFM

When you understand how patterns work

Like M1 C8 baffles our chatelaineā€¦

5 Likes