5 Likes

that’s the wool

nice well mannered wool that sits on the needle where it’s put and stays there

and a deep rich colour too

4 Likes

Gorgeous yarn!

5 Likes

I have knitted two socks in Scheepjes Bamboo Soft - 250 Decadent Plum

apart from the heels; I am doing those by the Peasant Heel method, and have left a piece of scrap yarn knitted into half the diameter of the foot so that I will be able to do that.

And now
“With your sock toe pointing down, working right to left, pick up the right leg of all the stitches directly below the stitches of your scrap yarn. Rotate work, so your toe is now pointing up, moving right to left, pick up the right leg of all the stitches directly below the scrap yarn. You’ll now have 42 stitches on each needle.”
and then, having pulled out the scrap yarn leaving a hole where the heel is going to be,
" *Pick up 1 st to close the gap, knit across the needle, then pick up 1 more st to close the gap; rep from * once more."

I have never actually turned a heel before; wish me luck…

5 Likes

And one of them is done; it’s not perfect, because there are holes where the yarn-joining for the heel is on either side, but I should be able fix those with careful darning. Now for the other. I know it ought to be easier to get it right second time, but I am placing no bets.

4 Likes

Wot, in the street and frightening the horses?

3 Likes

Hardly; getting up to the street would mean Effort, and I don’t feel like it. There is quite enough to do here coaxing the second sock heel into some sort of sense.

3 Likes

For the avoidance of doubt, the above are That Fish’s handiwork (finwork?). Very fine. And a lovely yarn.

6 Likes

They look great and should be comfy and warm but not sweat gathering

5 Likes

Excellent socks, and quite an achievement. I would never have the patience.

6 Likes

I would never have the ability! Beautifully crafted socks!

Soo xx

7 Likes

Very soothing and mindless, apart from the heels. Oh, and the occasional dropped stitch, which require a bit of thought but with that yarn don’t go far.

6 Likes

Fabulous colours & detail, Fishy.

Carinthia. xx

6 Likes

In answer to Twellsy’s question about sizes in sockage, it depends upon the pattern. The one I did, I decided I was ‘women’s, medium’ but that relates primarily to the delicacy or otherwise of ankle and lower calf/ fatness of foot. Foot size is a simple matter of determining the length of one’s hooves then subtracting for the toe and negative ease.
The socks yon Fish manufactures, however, are fully fitted, bespoke, precision-crafted gems, the Rolls-Royce of hosiery.

6 Likes

Campsite neighbour did Bespoke Hoseyery fer t’ National Dress.

Respect, & Swimly Bow…

Carinthia. xx

6 Likes

It sounds awfully complex this sock making

However I like the look of hand made socks so I could take it up in time

5 Likes

6 Likes

Wow!

They look very festive Dahlink.

Carinthia. xx

6 Likes