Knittery and Stitchery and Stuff

“…and Look at you all Shorn and Reproachful in the wee small hours. When there is a heavy frost.”

6 Likes

I am used to beasties Looking at me at all hours

And I like the sound of that new wool

5 Likes

Fred’s & Ducky Darlings are, apparently, having some sort of prize giveaway shortly.

I will keep an eye onnit

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Here I have taken the band off my weather skirt as M had done a crude effort at a dart

Take the band and put a few stitches in to make a loop of the band on each side of the zip

The band put on with an edge either side of the zip and the skirt hook bar was at right angles to the hook!

So are darts better in front or at the back of the skirt which is 8" bigger than my equatorial circumference?

5 Likes

The description of the band is not making any sense to me, Twellsy. Didn’t you try the skirt on before it was sewn?

The skirt needs to be 2" bigger than your measurements. It is called ‘wearing ease’ & means that you will be able to sit down, & eat in comfort.

Take the waistband off to 3"either side of the right side seam. You will need to shorten it a little, afterwards.

You will need 2 darts in the front, approximately 4" long, measuring 6/8" at the top, to nothing at the point.
Do the same with the back, except these should be 5" long.
Pin & tack them before trying on, & adjust before machining. When they are correct, press them, & put the waistband back on.
The waistband should be a couple of inches longer than the zip at the front, so that you can fasten it neatly with a hook.

Take your time. There are no prizes for rushing, & having to start again.

Carinthia.xx

4 Likes

Thank you dear chatelaine

I could not try it on as the rules re corvids mean anything touched by the other must be untouched for days till the danger is passed

Right I am pinning darts now

I will wail for help as I do things

3 Likes

Fairy Nuff, but you said that you were putting the frill on the other week, so I thought that it was nearly finished.

You are going to have to work out how to balance working on it/trying it on, between the classes. If you keep having to undo things, it is discouraging to you, & knackers the fabric . There should be step by step destructions with the pattern, with diagrams,to help you see how things should lie/go. There won’t be destructions for zig-zagging over dental floss to do the gathers, but it really does work! :grinning:

So, work out a ruff plan: The classes are on Fridays, so give yourself from Monday to Wednesday to try it on, & work on it. This will give you a couple of days to quarantine* the garment ‘at both ends’, azzitwere.

*If you have a sheltered area,hang it up in the fresh air .

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Well I now have a skirt that fits and is darted front and rear There’s a 3" tab at the zip so my next trick will be to sew the hook and bar and finish off the band neatly

Only the hem left after that and that is an iron measure pin and hand stitch job in small runs so when a bit of hem comes down I can easily restich it

5 Likes

A very good idea! Awful memories of sitting on a loo, pulling a strange bit of thread & the whole hem coming down…

It was one of those blind-stitched* jobs with Nasty Nylon invisible thread, not one of mine, I hasten to add.

*I’m leaving that in, but you know I meant the stitch, not you :joy::wink:

Measure, press & pin the hem in one go, Twellsy, & then you can stitch a length at your leisure.

How have you finished the hem so that it doesn’t fray?

Carinthia.xx

3 Likes

Cheated and used the selvedge

5 Likes

That’s not cheating, it’s sensible, unless there is an obvious one way design

I keep thinking that it’s needlecord

I may need an Little Lie Down…

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

FTFY ;- )

5 Likes

A Good Friend of mine needed some distraction and I, jokingly, said that she could knit me some cotton dishcloths. “Ooh,” she said, “buy me cotton yarn and a pattern and I shall!” And, she has - just 4, for now - but they are beautiful (to me). And serviceable. I’ll post a pic, tomorrow.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Ee, a proper dishcloth needs knitting from string. Hairy string ;- )

I look forward to photies of dead glamorous versions and shall do Envy, in a big way.

5 Likes

I thought that canonically dishcloths were crocheted?

5 Likes

They can be, but knitting them is quite as usual.

5 Likes

One of our Missing Friends from Church knitted cotton dishcloths for many years to boost funds. They have all dropped to bits (M died six years ago, so I can’t sue her) and I am thrilled to have gorgeous, white, unraggedy dishcloths once again.
Soo xx

5 Likes

Late MiL used to knit dishcloths

They were fabulous, & lasted for ages

They were the undyed slightly ‘greige’ ones, as that was what the cotton looked like.

Overnight soaking inna bowl of cold water, with a drop of Domestos innit rendered them pristine white, & much more absorbent.

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: So, who wants to help … to instaurate the cellar?

If it were not for the fact that I’ll probably be knitting this jacket until next autumn, at the current rate of progress, I could be ever so tempted by this:

5 Likes