On the Juke-Box Today

Yep.

2 Likes

I don’t know why this isn’t working. Klezperanto. I like them. Armers won’t.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qrtQWK8CAbM

4 Likes

How sad.

How do you feel about George Gershwin, or Leonard Cohen, who often use the same base?

5 Likes

Not a major fan of either tbh.

Obviously nothings so simple as the parcel everything up in one word but jazz, generally leaves me cold, whereas blues I like hugely. There is obviously crossover but, in simple terms, that’s my divide.

I genuinely don’t understand when people say “jazz & blues” as, to me, they are the antithesis of our other.

4 Likes

And yet, Miles Davis (to my hearing) was bits of both:

Soo xx

4 Likes

I think that first you have to come up with definitions of each form which are accepted by all parties including the people who play them – which is not unakin to getting an historian, a linguist and an archeologist to agree on a definition of “Mediaeval” or “middle Ages”.

4 Likes

Or any two practitioners of said disciplines to agree on definitions of “history”, “linguistics” or “archaeology”

4 Likes

No. I don’t ‘have to’ at all.

I might if I was writing a thesis or even trying to nail this down to satisfy others. But I’m not. It’s my taste, my likes & dislikes, the boxes are pretty crude but work for me … which is all they have to do.

5 Likes

Which, Soo, is fine.

To my ears he’s 100% jazz, & the sort I’d switch off.

… & to ME it’s my ears which count. Just as to you it’s yours.

5 Likes

Fairy nuff.
Soo xx

4 Likes

That too, Joe. That too. I have seen whole two-day conferences bog down before they got started for lack of a definition all could accept of what the participants were supposed to be discussing.

Armers, if you have no definition for what you assert you like and dislike, the assertion is meaningless. Therefore in order to make the assertion, yes, you do have to. If it is only for you, then you don’t have to make the assertion.

You might as well just say bimble bomble booble and ha’ done. Humpty-Dumpty also ran.

3 Likes

Should have boiled him for longer, then.

Anyway…

4 Likes

Bimble bomble bumble.

Not everything has to be intellectualised.

But I don’t like jazz.

Y"know, I might take a few weeks off. This is supposed to be fun. It doesn’t feel like it right now.

I’ll listen to blues instead.

4 Likes

You would be missed, Armers

I am finding it very difficult to listen to/concentrate on any music ATM & my reading is going the same way, I fear

Howsumevva

My shouting at R4 is coming on splendidly… :joy: :wink:

Carinthia.xx

5 Likes

Yep, true.

And hear me carefully not trilling ‘…but my aim’s getting better’. :wink:
Pax?

4 Likes

Have some BB King, Armers. A friend introduced me to him when I was 16 (not in person) and a life-long love of blues followed.

I’m not struck on C&W, btw. Too sickly sentimental and yadayada etc.

Soo xx

3 Likes

Country has its roots in the blues, though.

And if it is Steve Earle, it isn’t exactly sentimental:

3 Likes

I agree with all of that, Fishers. I suppose that my views on C&W are tied up with laying the blanket on the ground (oo-er), Kenny Rogers and stuff. But, my feet can start stomping to a wide range of musical genres (even if I can’t name them).

Soo xx

3 Likes

Well, exactly. Condemning an entire genre unheard seems sad.

I remember my father (who on the whole liked – and had played French horn in – classical music, and 1920s popular because that was what there was when he was in his teens) listening fascinated to first The Incredible String Band and then Eleanor Rigby, and finding interest and enjoyment in both.

I like some of Kenny Rogers, and most of Johnny Cash – but also Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf; and Hendrix…

And where does Bob Dylan fit in? Which album? Before or after he went electric? And what genre is that first album anyway?

(puts on “in my time of dying”…)

5 Likes

and then inflicts it on the Juke-Box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoF_0N-sonM

because this is folk, cats.

4 Likes