Poultry report

TBH we’re pretty worried about her. She’s always been the liveliest of them, so the decline is particularly noticeable. She’s a fighter, though, so fingers crossed…

7 Likes

Well, we put off the trip to Bray as she seemed to be rallying fairly well this afternoon. From being comatose to the extent that we were sure she was slipping away, to hopping up on the side of the box and contemplating a bid for freedom. Spoon-feeding her a mix of egg yolk, yoghurt and honey, spiked with a dose of vitamins, seems to have helped. She’s sleeping now, so we’ll see how she is in the morning. If the improvement continues, we’ll leave her be—don’t want to subject her to the stress of a long journey unless it’s really necessary.

7 Likes

Encouraging news, joe. Fingers crossed and tenters hitched.

7 Likes

Fins crossed for her here.

7 Likes

Rallying is a Good Thing. My best wishes for Jilly’s recovery, joe.
Soo xx

7 Likes

Here’s hoping for the best for Jilly (…gotta :heart_eyes: that name!) :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Keeping her in until she’s fully recovered, but signs are good; she was alert, preening and feeding herself this morning. Looks like she’s getting back to her old self :crossed_fingers:

Have passed on all your good wishes!

6 Likes

Sounds like Jilly’s on the mend. Your comment reminds me of a favourite cat-poem by Roger McGough:

My cat and I

Girls are simply the prettiest things
My cat and I believe
And we’re always saddened
When it’s time for them to leave

We watch them titivating
(that often takes a while)
And though they keep us waiting
My cat & I just smile

We like to see them to the door
Say how sad it couldn’t last
Then my cat and I go back inside
And talk about the past

Roger McGough

6 Likes

And just when you think you’ve turned a corner…

Seems to be a bit down at the moment. Have found another vet reasonably locally (Kilkenny) that has full X-ray facilities and so forth. Have an appointment for 9.45 tomorrow…

6 Likes

Best of luck, young Jilly! We’ll be rootin’ fer ya!

6 Likes

Fingers recrossed, joe

6 Likes

Every good wish for a full recovery for Jilly

The parrot has her beak crossed

Watch out for cats in the home of red ale

7 Likes

Well, she’s taken up residence at the localish vets as of this morning. Apparently very thin and dehydrated, so they’re putting her on a drip. Various tests and x-rays being done, so I’m just sitting here waiting for news. As with Jules, the possible diagnoses range across the full spectrum. She was showing poor reflexes, which could possibly indicate a neurological factor (even the dreaded Marek’s) but which might equally be down to her generally run-down state. I have a suspicion she may not have been feeding properly; hens apparently are fully au fait with the concept of delayed gratification, so I wonder if she’s been skimping on the proper food and waiting for her “treats”. Then when an infection struck, she didn’t have the reserves to fight it.

Anyway, she’s been there since this morning and they said they’d ring as soon as there was news, so the current silence is slightly reassuring, since presumably it means they haven’t given up on her. Will keep you posted.

8 Likes

Tenters Hitched, Joe

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

Fins crossed.

7 Likes

Very much with you in spirit, joe.
Soo xx

6 Likes

Just caught up with this, fingers crossed here too.

7 Likes

Look who’s home, with a seven day prescription for antibiotics:

9 Likes

Hooray!

7 Likes

Brava that hen!

5 Likes