Poultry report

Think we could all do with a bit of good news. It’s definitely Spring:

Two definite - maybe more (Didn’t want to disturb them). Still a few eggs unhatched, so maybe more to come…

8 Likes

Fabulous, joe. Just what one needed!
Soo xx

8 Likes

I’m reliably informed that there are at least three - I thought there were, but one went scurrying under a wing just before the third emerged so I couldn’t see whether it was the same one.

8 Likes

Oh - and the photos are decent enough to be able to zoom in a bit:

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 15.10.42

The yellow one has a definite attitude - I suspect it might be a rooster. Not our problem, for once - these are being hatched to order (Though we’ll be keeping a couple back - just to maintain egg production, of course. Nothing at all to do with being cute and fluffy…)

8 Likes

Of course not. It is simply one softy calling to another.

7 Likes

Well, several to several - with fevvery intermediaries. Or more accurately, one fevvery and two fluffy.

7 Likes

Somewhat nervous and hence elusive, but we think there are six now. Only two (or possibly three) visible in the pics below - will keep trying!

7 Likes

I like the fluffy white hen

What make is she?

7 Likes

Immensely cheering, Joe

Thank-you

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

That’s Bella - our original silkie / mudlark:

7 Likes

I could fancy a Bella alike or ten if slugs were part of her diet

8 Likes

They eat slugs, don’t they?
(a film which was a surprising flop)

7 Likes

Slugs are easy

5 Likes

Silkies are wonderful! Not the best if you’re after eggs, though - they tend to be seasonal and lay maybe every other day. The eggs are small, but are almost pure yolk - perfect for for custard of to hard boil for salads!

They are also almost perpetually broody - a lot of breeders keep them as incubators (They’ll try to hatch anything - stones, golf balls…)

8 Likes

Silkie eggs are also, to cross-thread, ideal for mayonnaise!

7 Likes

Are they that glorious deep gold, Joe?

Yolks, I mean

Sorry

Carinthia.xx

8 Likes

Yes! The colour depends on the diet, so the more protein the better. Ours can scratch around outside all day, so the eggses tend to be a really vivid orange / gold.

8 Likes

Thought so!

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

New! Improved! Now wiv added slug!

7 Likes

The hens we hen sit for our neighbours are part of their organic pest control system for their market garden

Silkies sound like my sort of hen - half egg producer and three quarters pet

6 Likes