So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

Indeed not. But, imo, that =/= ‘pompous’. But glad you count him as a Good Egg anyway ;- )

but some bum-punctures?

6 Likes

Oh, no, it was worse than that. Leaves? Nothing so innocent.

“Then they wrestled like enemies, rolling in the black mud, with the flowers crushed between them. … All the wood seemed moving with them, as if they had disturbed it into utmost life. Bubbles of air burst and leaves were shaken loose on them. … Under her elbow was the skeleton of a stoat, threshed out of its grave by their fury.”

I suspect that the “bitten on the bum” bit was a DWJ addition; it was read out at a turkey reading and not for the first time that hour, she corpsed and became incoherent.

5 Likes

And see http://thog.org/longer.html

Gus, watch out for Mike Cule if you read that. It will add to the essential flavour.

5 Likes

Urrrk!

‘Bubbles of air burst’, did they? Riiight…

5 Likes

Probably thinking of Ernst Stavro rather than Henry, but since the former was reputedly named after the latter’s father, I think it still counts.

6 Likes

Mike was the final straw.
Gus Is Broken and wandering weakly off in search of Drink.

6 Likes

My work here is finished.

For a bit, anyhow.

6 Likes

Talking of finishing work, I was up to my eyes for the last couple of days so am about to listen to both nights’ offerings. Have a can of cider to hand - will this be enough?

6 Likes

Nowhere near enough, esp for last night’s.

6 Likes

A conservative assessment, TFM. Emergency tanker on its way, joe.
Soo

6 Likes

Gawds, you’re not wrong. Is it just me or is Heather Bell a truly dire actor (at least on radio)?

6 Likes

On radio, she sucks. No info about stage/film work.

6 Likes

How is That Chatelaine and her post-Wedding feets? EMNTK.

6 Likes

Right. Salad having been constructed and consumed (well, half ovvit), some thoughts:

1. Make sure your cauli when floretted is going to be considerably bigger than a tin’s worth of chickpeas. Mine was a small, yet perfectly formed, head, and it was a bit overwhelmed by chickpeas. Go generous on the olive oil for tossing the cauliflower and onion.
  2. Make your florets quite small/cut them with flat surfaces, and possibly delay putting the onion in the oven with them for 10 mins or so
  3. Exercise caution with the paprika when it comes to frying the chickpeas. I am, as those who love and / or feed me know, a paprika freak, but it would be easy to end up with a ‘muddy’ taste. I used pul biber flakes rather than cayenne for this bit, btw.
  4. The dressing is lush and would work with lots of other things, imo. But then I love tahini and dressings based on it anyway
  5. While this went very well with Squeaky Cheese, I reckon it would also be a splendid partner to lamb kofte.
6 Likes

Most recent IMDB entry is 1979, which hardly bespeaks a glittering career

And that was an episode of Terry and June

6 Likes

Stun a stoat sideways.

She was Clarrie 1979 - 1986. Maybe she went over to radio exclusively…

5 Likes

Of course. She has such a gift for it

6 Likes

Ahem. It occurred to me earlier, and you have now reminded me, that the Late Stoat upthread was handicapped by an inability to distinguish the arse from the elbow…

6 Likes

Clever Gus. That’s me forewarned.
Always a Good Thing.
Slammers?
Soo xx

6 Likes

Yes please.

I have a rather beautiful etching of a stoat hanging in my hallway. It is now forever tainted for me by a mental image of it stuck in a large buttock. Who should I blame? And don’t say some author or other, in something I was never likely to read.

6 Likes