So, who wants to help ... to cower in the cellar?

DWJ wrote a book called The Skiver’s Guide.

I have a copy printed for use in Japanese schools, complete with glossary for words they might find difficult. Some of the explanations are pure delight.

6 Likes

On a scale of 1 to 10 how helpful would you rate the glossary as being, o Fish? < itches to see Said Book >

6 Likes

Not very: mostly it is just (according to DWJ’s Japanese daughter-in-law) very earnest explanation, in Japanese characters, of what was not in the least serious in the original. Alas, I do not read Japanese; she of course does, and read them out, dead-pan.

But when they break into English, as they sometimes do, there is a sort of slightly off-key edge to it: for instance “when work is just in the air” is glossed as “When you sense that there is just work to be done” – which is not quite what the phrase means in context…

6 Likes

I understand that, clearly. Hopefully.
Soo xx

6 Likes

Good nights, Cellarites.
Soo xx

6 Likes

Oh the joys of rural living, the fresh country air…

Not. The neighbouring farmer has been muck spreading. Pig muck spreading, if my nose does not deceive me.

And this is a puzzle, since he has no pigs, and no-one within about 5 miles of here keeps pigs as far as I know. Which makes me wonder, is there a thriving market in pig muck? Pig shit futures, even?

I must stop thinking, it is not good for me.

7 Likes

Round here the muck is usually cow muck

Watching a humungous tractor with a giant economy size full of muck muck spreader being moved round our roads which are one car wide is fascinating

One tends to give way to the agricultural vehicles of the silage teams

The more usual tractors are the vintage types that are working out their retirement being the company car of the farmer

Crafty group for me today so I am sorting out my knitting box

7 Likes

One of those mornings when one is inexpressibly relived to find one has not just done what one thought one had and that it was, in fact, a dream. A dream of the kind that leaves a very unpleasant aftertaste, though, only partially mitigaed by the Oaf’s valiant attempt to stick his vibrissae up my nose

7 Likes

What did you think you had done Gus dear ?

Would you tell it to the group?

We might be able to help

7 Likes

Killed someone.

Not that I want to alarm you or anything

6 Likes

Ooo was the killee deserving of such an act?

The difference between murder and pest control is very slight you know

7 Likes

That’s the thing: I have no idea.

6 Likes

Speakin’ as yer friend I would advise you not to answer any further questions. Instead, use neutral phrases such as “you can’t pin a thing on me copper” or “I ain’t no nark”.

6 Likes

I know that feeling, and it is truly horrid. I have twice dreamed that I had killed my (first) father-in-law and and was trying to hide the body in a cupboard (I know, but it is a dream.) Quite apart from the fact that he was already dead even the first time I dreamt it, he was a lovely man (much nicer than his son) and I adored him.

I have no idea where such dreams come from, but I sympathise with the feeling they leave behind.

6 Likes

Gosh. I lead a comparatively blameless dream-life, being far more often done-unto than doing. This probably means that I am much more likely to commit murder in Real Life (OMT).

Meanwhile I am chasing Wedgwood Signet Platinum “tableware” round all the local places which might have it, among which is House Of Fraser really quite local – and they have it at the same price as the Wedgwood website, which is handy.

6 Likes

I have a mental list of people I might call and say “look, I’ve got this body to move…”.

I consider myself very fortunate that there’s more than one person on it.

7 Likes

Coming up to the full moon, innit.

Makes mental note not to offend or provoke a Fish unduly. The previous night, someone who was something of a mentor to me at one stage of my career was asking me “But who IS Matt Crawford?” as if I were somehow responsible for having introduced him somewhere or other. V. odd.

Wishing you success in the tableware quest.

6 Likes

Now that was a good move. Remembered there were Club orange chocolate biscuits in the cupboard from when I spotted them in Lidl at the weekend.
There is now one fewer in the cupboard and correspondingly one more in Gus and my mood has improved greatly as a result.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.

8 Likes

Off to crafty group

My aim is to return with all my tools in MY knitting box not in other folk’s bags/boxes

7 Likes

I’m looking for an image…

1920s (1930s would do) female reporter or photographer.
Ideally not film-star pretty. Something like this:

is all very well but it’s very clearly an actor.
I don’t need formal reuse rights; this is for a private project.
Double bonus gin points if it’s the right camera - a Graflex Speed Graphic

rather than the twin-lens reflex in that photo.

6 Likes