So, who wants to help ... to instaurate the cellar?

Aha wait till you taste mine!

7 Likes

I really don’t like the frosting on carrot cake

The cake is supposed to derive its sweetness from the carrots, but the sickly additions put me orff.

Corned Beef hash here, this evening.

Comfort food

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

It’s gone through quite a few phases. It was pretty much the standard cake before refined sugar was widely available and saw a resurgence during rationing. It’s still possible to find sugar-free variants.

I agree it’s become overly ubiquitous over the last few years, but still worth it if you find a good one. (Which reminds me I haven’t made one in years. About time I rectified that!)

6 Likes

Wish me luck on Tuesday

It’s a feckin’ oil based recipe

I swear that the team leader is a vegan!

6 Likes

Am I missing something here?

Twellsy, you could bake before this group existed, you ran a Cafe FFS. If the bias towards oil-based cakes is supposed to make things easier, & doesn’t, then share it with the group, & discuss other methods.

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

The oil based cakes only need a fork to stir them and so folk less able than I or who do not have a Ken to work for them

I know she is trying to find cheap and simple recipes and I enjoy chatting to others with brain injuries as we can let our guard down with each other

Like I can let my guard down here

I hope

5 Likes

Actually, for carrot cake, oil does work. I know I said I don’t like it, but I have made a reduced sugar one similar to this.

Except it was in a loaf tin and not iced and didn’t use syrup, just a small amount of sbs.

6 Likes

Of course you can, Twellsy, it’s just that they aren’t cheap & easy if they don’t work.

People need to see some success/need encouragement, but also that they aren’t ‘playing at it’.

Do you all share tips on ways to make things easier, whilst bearing in mind that many only have the basics at home? I am thinking about things like the one handed pastry gizmo, which I could never get on with, but my friend, who hated putting her hands in food, loved.

A workshop session on easy to use tin-openers/jar openers wouldn’t come amiss either* :wink:

*I have a selection/collection of both, of varying degrees of usefulness & will soon need Certifying/a Stiffgit, depending on the day…

My latest bugbear is stuff in those flat plasticky packets which require one to peel the corner & pull towards

Dear God

Anna knife…

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

A sharp knife is the answer to that

Of course I offer tips based on my experience and the fun of leading our local cooking class

The man with two claws as hands made the best shortcrust pastry ever

I am known as the cook who gives recipes to the group - just simple things like custard properly done and from that ice cream…

7 Likes

Those are bastards, Dahlink.
Packaging design can be a rewarding career path for a young sociopath or misanthrope.

And not only to that, dere: trust me.

7 Likes

And it’s all the single use stuff, & not Recyclable

Sigh

Carinthia.xx

7 Likes

I don’t know about cooking tips, but the single most useful thing my mother ever got from a class for people with various disabilities was the “arthritic hands plug-puller” – which is free.

You get an old washing-up liquid bottle and cut loops of plastic about half an inch wide out of it (or get someone who finds scissors easy to do it) so they fit between the live/neutral and the earth spikes on the plug, and fit them over the plug so you can plug it in, but you have a loop left sticking out to pull by when you want to get the plug back out of the socket. No gripping of plugs required ever again. She loved these because unlike special-for-the-disabled electric plugs, it cost her nothing at all.

6 Likes

Ah, you beat me to it. Carry on.

[beaky grin]

6 Likes

That is sheer genius.

6 Likes

Fanta that is brilliant

6 Likes

I don’t need it yet, but I am keeping it in my mind for when gripping a plug gets harder.

And then every time I do the h**vering I shall remember my dear old mum and the rude words she used to use about people who track mud onto carpets.

7 Likes

I hate Sundays. Sunday evenings in particular.
Thassorl.

6 Likes

I think that there are a lot of ‘hacks’ that we have picked up from our parents/lives/experiences, which work really well, & don’t involve money or electricity!

A gadget really has to earn a place in my home

Itizz Effing Cold, so corned beef hash is about to be served

Carinthia.xx

ETA yes Gus., I know what you mean.
Late MiL used to hate Sundays too, so she made cakes on Sunday afternoons.

That takes us back to where we started this afternoon!

Hugs

Carinthia.xx

6 Likes

I thought about making oat biscuits - no oil :grinning: - but it turned out I CBA ;- )

Hugs back atcha
Gxx

6 Likes

Feral has just been doing some “recreational programming” (aka “a friend asked for this at the end of July and I probably ought to do it some time”).

8 Likes