Veggie/vegan/pescatarian recipes for the non-purist

Puy lentils and feta make a very happy combination, imo.

This soup (the Greek, lentilly one) is excellent. Trust him on the vinegar. It works.

7 Likes

Thanks, Gus, I’ll give that one a go 'n all. Pretty sure I have all the ingredients.

7 Likes

Bon succès to it with a following wind. Which there almost certainly will be ;- )

7 Likes

Does it really mean 750 grammes of green lentils, Gus? Three-quarters of a kilo? Seems out of proportion to the other ingredients.

5 Likes

750g of lentils, 650g of other veg & tom purée - nah, it’s fine

5 Likes

OK, won’t argue then. I thought it might be a bit light on the seasoning. But I’ll try and keep to the recipe to avoid the ‘well that worked well, though I replaced practically every ingredient and cooked it a different way’ syndrome.

Speaking of which, I cooked the ‘burnt aubergine veggie chilli’ dish recommended elseboard without the aubergine. Or the chocolate which would have been cocoa powder even if I had put it in. And used cannellini beans instead of kidney beans, garam massala instead of cinnamon and cayenne instead of chilli powder. Oh, and I had some frozen meatballs, so I put them in 'n all. Mr Janie appreciated that.

Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly!

5 Likes

Oh, sorry to be a pest, Gus, but it does mean dried lentils? Not the tinned kind?

5 Likes

Dried is correct. Bear in mind that the green ones don’t expand as much as many other pulses.

6 Likes

OK, thanks. I like that all the ingredients are in precise measurements. It always amuses me that you read ‘30 g red lentils’ and ‘one aubergine’ or ‘two carrots’. They can vary tremendously in size, as do onions.

Afterthought: OK, it does say ‘one spring of rosemary’!

7 Likes

Soobee’s Cauliflower Soup

• 1 large head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), cut into bite-sized florets
• 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• Salt
• 1 medium red onion, chopped
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 L veg stock
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or more if needed
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 210C. Toss the cauliflower with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Arrange the cauliflower in a single layer and sprinkle lightly with salt. Bake until the cauliflower is tender and caramelized on the edges, 25 to 35 minutes, tossing halfway.
Once the cauliflower is almost done, in a soup pan warm the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and turning translucent, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the broth.
Then transfer the cauliflower to the pot. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a simmer, then reduce the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
Remove the pot from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Add the butter and blend until smooth. Add the lemon juice and nutmeg and mix.
Season to taste.
6 Likes

…cor! Looks delicious! (…only thing I might change would be the word “cloves” to “heads”). Looks most tasty! Yum! (…will report!) Mni thnks fer recipe! :kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

5 Likes